two pronged troybuilt horse question?

/ two pronged troybuilt horse question? #1  

backwoodbill

Hello all!
I,am a new member, and a brand new owner of a troybuilt horse, vintage approx. 1970's, it came with the snow /dozer blade attach. it is a kohler 7hp. model elect. start runs great has the orig. manual, but is missing the hiller/furrower attach. I witnessed a hiller/ forrower attach. being used by a friend on one of my past gardens, and are they ever a sweet labor saver. does any one know if they are available today, for that year span and approx. how much do they cost , also the unit came with a muffler adapted to fit the engine with a reducer bushing, the muffler is of the type that you would find on an old briggs vert shaft 3.5 hp lawn mower engine, and I need clarification on what I feel, would be running it that way would rob power from the engine due to improper back pressure, and most of all perhaps damage the valves from excessive high temps. as the orriginal should have been a 3/4" I.d and the adapted one is 1/2" I.d. approx. I.d. measurements, other than that I have to adjust the reverse as it is not engageing to full potential, I paid $600.00 for it maybe a little high but I live in a town of 400 residents, everybody knows each other and the tiller belonged to an old woman that drained the fuel and changed the oil after every use, you should of seen all the clorox jugs full of old gas and perfectly good 30wt oil, she unfortunately passed and I bought it from her Grandson, I tell you I wish I could of afforded buying the lawn tractor for the same maintainance reasons she did not change out the fluids on that every time but sure took good care of her equiptment. I,am sorry about being long winded, but I just have to say I,am excited to have finally got what I consider the best tiller of all times! thankyou backwoodsbill!:thumbsup:

/ two pronged troybuilt horse question? #2  
Hi! For pipe and muffler you are right! You can overheat and damaged your engine. Use O E M or same dia. H.P. size . Good luck! Oldmech

/ two pronged troybuilt horse question? #3  
Welcom to the forum. You will certainly love the Troybilt and you might be able to find a hiller on Ebay, I see them there every once in awhile. Where are you lcoated? I do have the hiller, but to sell it and then ship it to someone would be costly I am sure.

As for the muffler I am not sure, but maybe you should look around and ask someone that works on small enignes. As for lost of hp I wouldn't worry too much about that, but damage with back pressure would concern me some.

Oh and paying $600.00 for a Horse is really a good deal, I wouldn't feel like I paid too much!

Wayne

/ two pronged troybuilt horse question? #4  
Hey Bill, you will find lots of info here for your Horse. Did you get the owners manual? Is yours one or two belt? Do you know where the adjustment is for reverse? It is a relatively easy fix and even if you need to change the reverse disc, or the belts, it is a pretty easy job. And there are a number of stores supplying Troy bilt parts on the web. As far as price on the Hiller/furrower, I have seen them new for $110 on Ebay and a used one go for as little as $20 on Ebay and Craigs List. We are all here for each other buddy!

Scott

ps One of the stores I have ordered from
Troy-Bilt Parts and Accessories. Everything you need for your Troy-Bilt Tiller - CustomPartsInc.com

/ two pronged troybuilt horse question?
Welcom to the forum. You will certainly love the Troybilt and you might be able to find a hiller on Ebay, I see them there every once in awhile. Where are you lcoated? I do have the hiller, but to sell it and then ship it to someone would be costly I am sure.

As for the muffler I am not sure, but maybe you should look around and ask someone that works on small enignes. As for lost of hp I wouldn't worry too much about that, but damage with back pressure would concern me some.

Oh and paying $600.00 for a Horse is really a good deal, I wouldn't feel like I paid too much!

Wayne
Hello! Wayne fortunate for me I live in Mariaville Maine I like to call it nowhere U.S.A. LOL! I would be interested in that xtra hiller you have let me know what you have in mind as the shipping can,t be that bad or maybe I can pick it up depending on where in N.h. you are as the wifes family lives in Bethel,Me right on the border of N.H. and we go there pretty much once a month sincerely Bill!

Hi! For pipe and muffler you are right! You can overheat and damaged your engine. Use O E M or same dia. H.P. size . Good luck! Oldmech
Thankyou Oldmech! thats what I thought as I remebered from my jr. high days had a part time job at a hardware store learning to work on sm. engines I later became an appliance & refrigeration tech. and instructor at a local tech colledge just a little of my background at any rate thankyou for taking the time to reply to my question as last night I went out and got a 2" black iron close nipple and a 45 degree elbow to put the correct size muffler i got off of an 8hp. briggs eng. don,t feel the 1hp. difference in eng. size is critical only the OEM size sincerely Bill!

Hey Bill, you will find lots of info here for your Horse. Did you get the owners manual? Is yours one or two belt? Do you know where the adjustment is for reverse? It is a relatively easy fix and even if you need to change the reverse disc, or the belts, it is a pretty easy job. And there are a number of stores supplying Troy bilt parts on the web. As far as price on the Hiller/furrower, I have seen them new for $110 on Ebay and a used one go for as little as $20 on Ebay and Craigs List. We are all here for each other buddy!

Scott

ps One of the stores I have ordered from
Troy-Bilt Parts and Accessories. Everything you need for your Troy-Bilt Tiller - CustomPartsInc.com
Thanks for replying Scott I did get the owners manual with it so I should not have any prob. with the reverse adj. the belts look fairly new doesn,t mean they arent stretched but she goes in foward strong! as for the reverse disk it is chamfered on the edges and without looking in the manual i assume that to some extent is normal wear but today its raining here again good day to put the right oem size muffler on and check out and make that reverse adj. as I,am itching to get out and turn the soil in the new garden spot and add manure as I just got the spot stumped after I cut off any good fire wood and burnt the brush saved the wood ashes to use in the soil ammendments the garden plot size is about 50x60 ft. I will see if wayne and I can make a deal on the one he has if not I will take your suggestion and check out ebay and thanks for the parts link! sincerely Bill