Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #11  
Depends alot on which Horse it is. I have an old one that I pulled the Tec HH60 off of it and put on one of those import Honda knock off's. Starts great and runs better than the old one ever did. It was a direct bolt on replacement, just can't run the bumper/weight bracket anymore b/c of the OHV design.

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #12  
I prefer the cast engines. Can handle the heat better and a longer lasting engine if taken care of.

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #13  
i put a chonda on mine, has worked flawlessly for the last two years. electric start for $150 cant beat that.

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #14  
I also have to suggest the Chinese Honda OHV knock offs. I just swapped a 3.5hp Tecumseh with a 4 hp Lifan from Home Depot ($129 + shipping) on a tiller for an older friend from church and it was a seamless swap. All of them that I have seen, regardless of "brand" have run well and been reliable.

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #15  
how about a brand name?? i need a 7 or 8hp to put on an old horse model tiller.
thanks

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #16  
i just recently put a honda motor on my troy bilt horse . i bought it from small engine warehouse . It's a gx200 6.5 horse i did have to disconnect the low oil shut off , but that was as easy as unplugging the wire .

it made the tiller quite a bit liter and easier to handle . i spent about $300.00 but it's like a brand new tiller .

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #17  
thetooth: is that honda an electric start or pull start?? we have some chinese knockoffs available here named wen or something like that: 9hp for about 200bucks, pull start but they only have about a 90 day warranty: a new briggs 6.5hp pull start is 300 an has a 2 year warranty: i doubt i could tell the difference in a 6.5 an a 8hp...i never run it full bore anyway...
heehaw

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #18  
I googled the HF 6.5 hp "chonda" engines that are now on sale at HF for $99.00. Apparently made by Lifan and they appear to have their fans. I don't have any personal knowledge of them, but at $99 plus shipping, that's sort of hard to beat if the engines are good.

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #19  
thetooth: is that honda an electric start or pull start?? we have some chinese knockoffs available here named wen or something like that: 9hp for about 200bucks, pull start but they only have about a 90 day warranty: a new briggs 6.5hp pull start is 300 an has a 2 year warranty: i doubt i could tell the difference in a 6.5 an a 8hp...i never run it full bore anyway...
heehaw

i went with the pull start . i looked at the chinese knock off motors and at some of the smaller briggs motors , but felt the honda was the best value ( plus i heard the motor run on my buddies pressure washer ) . i will say i was disappointed that the motor is made in Taiwan . i actually called Honda about it just to confirm i didn't get ripped off . they told me that most of the smaller motors are now assembled in Tawain .

also the Honda motors have a 3 year warranty . i believe it produces 9 ft lbs . of torque . i am very happy with it so far .

/ Replcement Engine for Troy-Built Horse #20  
here are a couple of photos . in the first photo you can see the disconnected low oil cut off wire with the orange electric tape .

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited: