HELP....I hate t0 hoe!

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #11  
Bird, nice shop!!!

Well, this "modern" rear cultivation doesn't hold a candle to the old days when you drove a Farmall or Massey Pony and just looked down at your feet. Now THAT was great. I miss that and wish someone would come up with a similar cultivator for a B model Kubota. I would flat out jump at that!!!!!

I agree nice shop!seems a shame to mess it up with dirt etc.Think I,d just go to the farmers market for my produce and sit on a chair in that great looking shop.The floor looks to be clean enough to eat off of without the 3 second rule:laughing:Dave

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #12  
Then what's the point in having a tractor if you're gonna buy produce at the farmer's market?

Now the tractor in that picture looks freshly washed and waxed. Where's all that dust from plowing? Where's the mud from the tire cleats? Where's all the junk that you're supposed to have in your shed?

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #13  
Straw mulch is great for keeping weeds down and not having to till anything.

I tried that one year and now I have thisles so bad they are like a cancer. I mulch with grass clippings now. Good thing I mow almost 3 acres. Bad thing is have to do it with the White GT instead of the Scag!

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #14  
I tried that one year and now I have thisles so bad they are like a cancer. I mulch with grass clippings now. Good thing I mow almost 3 acres. Bad thing is have to do it with the White GT instead of the Scag!

Oh my!! Glad it works for you. We don't have lawns, we have yards, and those clippings would be full of nasty weeds.:D
I am picky about where I get my straw. You are right. It is necessary to be picky about straw one uses for this purpose.

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #15  
Oh my!! Glad it works for you. We don't have lawns, we have yards, and those clippings would be full of nasty weeds.:D
I am picky about where I get my straw. You are right. It is necessary to be picky about straw one uses for this purpose.

I didn't say I didn't mow weeds:laughing: they just don't seem to cause nearly as much trouble as those stupid thisles.:thumbsup:

Need to look into a bagger for the Scag or the 2305 or both:D

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #16  
Well, with the number of folks feeding thistle seed to birds, I don't think the world is going to run out of them anytime soon.

Sure'd like to see a thistle farm that produces all that bird seed.:D

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #17  

We tried mulching with straw last year and I came to the conclusion that it doesn't work well here. With all the rain, the seed heads fall off and start growing. Within a few weeks, the garden is all straw grass reaching skyward fast.:laughing: I swear that stuff grows faster than cornstalks.:confused2:

/ HELP....I hate t0 hoe! #18  
Now the other way of weeding is to use one of those manual push cultivators--seems like one brand name is the Planet Jr.

I've got a push cultivator that came from a yard sale that actually does very well once you get the ground all tilled up to start with. After that, it's pretty easy to keep the weeds knocked down.

Grass clippings from the yard will work as mulch.

Cardboard will also work as mulch if you put something on it to hold it down. By the end of the season, it will be rotted enough to turn under.