How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I've posted enough pleas for help that I figured I'd post this solution in case it helps someone down the road.

A neighboor called me this evening to tell me that her rototiller wouldn't start. Her husband is an old Vietnam Vet who has heart troubles and is losing sight in his one remaining good eye, so she asked if I'd help fix it. The symptoms were this...

The tiller started the second or third try and sputtered a bit then quit.
She tried to pull the cord again, and couldn't even pull it.
There's gas in the oil.

By the time I got there, the engine was spinning freely again. I pulled the cord gently a few times to get a feel for what was wrong. Then I went to start the thing with a good hefty tug, and I about ripped my arm off. It still hurts typing this a few hours later. I figured it must be some kind of compression release and began taking off the valve cover. I'd address the gas in the oil later.

While I was pulling the exhaust pipe to get to the valve cover to check the compression release, her husband pulled the air cleaner. I looked over, and the carburetor was full of fuel. I pulled the spark plug and cranked the engine a few times. Fuel spewed out of the spark plug like a fountain.

I pulled the carburetor off and found a stuck float. I freed the float and put everything back together. We ran it for a few minutes just to see if it would run. We didn't want to run it too long until we had changed the oil.

Here's my theory as to what was happening. The stuck float allowed the carb to flood into the cylinder. The fluid in the cylinder made it nearly impossible to turn the engine, and given time, the fuel would leak past the rings into the crank case. If the engine happened to stop with the intake valve closed, the pistons would empty (into the crank case) and the engine could spin freely until the cylinder filled with fuel again.

Hopefully if someone has a similar problem this experience will help troubleshoot it.

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #2  
Yep. BTDT... as soon as you said "sputtered, then stopped, then hard to pull"... common problem. Dirt, varnish, whatever in the float/needle, causing engine to run too rich, then quit altogether as it loads up with fuel.

Might be a good idea to have the carb taken apart and cleaned, install a carb kit. Not too hard to do, not too expensive. Does it (it should have) a fuel filter?

EDIT: Kudos for your willingness to help!!

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller
Yep. BTDT... as soon as you said "sputtered, then stopped, then hard to pull"... common problem. Dirt, varnish, whatever in the float/needle, causing engine to run too rich, then quit altogether as it loads up with fuel.

Might be a good idea to have the carb taken apart and cleaned, install a carb kit. Not too hard to do, not too expensive. Does it (it should have) a fuel filter?

EDIT: Kudos for your willingness to help!!

I told them if it does that again to buy a carb kit and I'd help put it in.

I'm trying to remember if I saw a fuel filter on it or not. I don't think I did. One of those little disc filters may be in order. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #4  
A little word about safety. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CRANK A ENGINE WITH A CYLINDER FULL OF GAS. I know everybody has done it and I have to. Now my experience. had a rider sitting on my wooden floor trailer delivering to customer and due to float bounce it filled the cylinder full of gas, so I pulled the plug and gas ran out of the cylinder, had the spark plug in my hand and hit the key. The time it turned over it spewed gas, the second time it turned over it spewed more gas, the third time it turned over it lit it. Lucky i had a fire extinquirer in the truck at the time. Gasoline when it flowed generated static electricity and if expelled under pressure or alllowed to drop a long distance will ignite from the static discharge.

A little word about safety. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CRANK A ENGINE WITH A CYLINDER FULL OF GAS. I know everybody has done it and I have to. Now my experience. had a rider sitting on my wooden floor trailer delivering to customer and due to float bounce it filled the cylinder full of gas, so I pulled the plug and gas ran out of the cylinder, had the spark plug in my hand and hit the key. The time it turned over it spewed gas, the second time it turned over it spewed more gas, the third time it turned over it lit it. Lucky i had a fire extinquirer in the truck at the time. Gasoline when it flowed generated static electricity and if expelled under pressure or alllowed to drop a long distance will ignite from the static discharge.

Thanks for the heads up. What is the proper method for removing gas from a cylinder?

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #6  
I normally use compressed air. absent that I would just pull the plug and let it evaporate.

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #7  
Would it be static electricity or spark from the plug wire barely touching the head that caused it to ignite?

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #8  
There is a term for when cylinder full of gas locks up the engine: hydrolocked.
I had this happen on a mower. Pulled the plug, gave her a big pull to clear out the gas. Coil wire sparked (just like it is supposed to), and a beautiful torch of gas and flame spewed out the spark plug hole. Seeing that my legs weren't in front of it, it really was pretty cool. Most of the fuel burned off in 5 seconds or so and I patted the rest out with a rag. I think it's fine to pull on the pull cord with a cylinder full of fuel, but ya better be ready for the show!
-Jay

/ How I Fixed a Craftsman Tiller #9  
spark plug wire wasn't touching the head or valve cover at time of ignition

When I pulled the cord on that tiller, I didn't think about the risk of it igniting, but I was holding the spark plug in my hand.