Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap

I'm new to this forum but hope I've found the right place for some help. I'm trying to find a new or used connecting rod for my father-in-laws Troy Bilt tiller. It's a 6 HP Tecumseh engine, Model # HH60105126J, Serial # 51720 that he bought around 1986. His friend took it apart to see what was wrong, said if he could get a replacement connecting rod that he'd put it in for him. Not sure he's willing to go the 'replacement engine' route ("chinese Honda clone from Harbor freight"), but how much would that be if he is?

I told him I would get on the 'net (not available for him) and see what I could come up with. Please help; he's the best father-in-law a guy could hope to have. Thanks for any help/referrals on this.

Elite Member

I think they are on sale now for $109.99 in the latest sales paper. For the hassle of trying to buy parts and get an old engine going, hard to beat. Sometimes they will put them as low as $99--watch the sales ads and the catalogs. Not uncommon for them to run different prices in the store/catalog/internet and sales paper at the same time, but the local store here will honor the lowest price.

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

6.5 hp $207 with taxes in.
    Need to adopt a new throttle cable and sharpen tines.
    Tires need air plus I have an extra reversing wheel that I may install.
    The old engine was a 7hp kohler.

TIA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2824-jpg   -img_2825-jpg   -img_2826-jpg   -img_2827-jpg   -img_2829-jpg  

-img_2830-jpg   -img_2831-jpg  
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_E View Post
    6.5 hp $207 with taxes in.
    Need to adopt a new throttle cable and sharpen tines.
    Tires need air plus I have an extra reversing wheel that I may install.
    The old engine was a 7hp kohler.

TIA
    Looks good!!!
    Kubota L3200 w/ LA524 FEL
    Landpride RCR 1860 rotary cutter
    Landpride RB1684 rear blade w/ hydraulic angle
    Woods GB60 boxblade
    John Deere X500
    Kubota B7610 w/LA352 FEL (sold)
    Husqvarna 562XP
    Husqvarna 371XP
    Husqvarna 346XP
    6 x 10 Dump Trailer
    22 ton Speeco Logsplitter
    2 Great Danes
    Vive l'acadie!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV

i have two 8hp kohlers that won't start: so i plan on doing this same swap before next garden season: cheaper than having the kohlers worked on.
    heehaw

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Well....I went and did the engine swap too and purchased (2) of those Greyhound engines from Harbor Freight. They cost me $225.50 shipped to the house, can't beat that! Was really surprised to see the many good reviews on those engines, so that should be good.

I disassembled (2) Troy-Bilt Horse tillers today, a 6HP and 8 HP Horse models. Just something to mention to all the owners of the older Horse models like mine (1970's Vintage). The one tiller which was my fathers had the wheel axle seals and the tine seals shot in the machine. To my amazement I drained the transmission lube and only got about a cup out of it. When I refilled it that thing leaked like a sieve from all four seals. They hold almost a gallon of lube in the transmission! Needless to say I had to drain the thing again and start over! Tore it all apart (looks like a starved dog) and noticed some wear on the worm and shaft gears for the tines and also the tine gear shaft. The gear shaft actually had a ring groove worn into it where the seal was riding, it was about 3/32" deep, no wonder it was leaking. Fixed that with some JB weld, we'll see how that holds up! It will still last another 20 - 30 years I bet! Poor thing was running for quite a lone time without any lube. My father wasn't one for any type of maintenance, he just ran his equipment to failure!

My grandfathers tiller is still in excellent condition with no seals leaking and a full belly of new transmission lube. It will get the new engine first.

At this point I'm awaiting my seals from eBay and (2) engines from Harbor Freight and then I can put them both back together again.

Craig
    Honda is truly the best on earth, but Kubota is coming a close second!
    Remember - you get the government you deserve and voted for!!
    OBAMA - One Big Ass Mistake America

I checked out that motor at Harbor Freight and it states that the blot holes are 3-5/8 inches on center. My old Horse that has the 6HP Tecumseh HH60 has a bolt pattern 2-1/2 inches on center. Did you have to drill and tap holes on the shaft side of the engine to use it for this application?
    Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 850, L130, 317

That is a different measurement in their info. I think someone said it was a 3-5/8 circle measure they printed. The actual measure is the correct 2-9/16 square that the troybilt needs.
    Check out the troybilt club on yahoo for loads of info specific to these machines as well as lots of pics.
    Last edited by BATTY54; 04-03-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add info

Tractor
    troybilt tiller

have 1977 horse with hh60 but harbor freight 6.5 engine mount
    spacing is to wide for my horse. does hb have more than one 6.5
    or is there a mod i can do. P38s engine swap looks real good.

Do you actually have the HB motor and it will not fit? The ad at their website gives the circular bolt measurement, but the square measurement is exactly right on my old Horse.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast