Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #21  
6.5 hp $207 with taxes in.
Need to adopt a new throttle cable and sharpen tines.
Tires need air plus I have an extra reversing wheel that I may install.
The old engine was a 7hp kohler.

TIA

Were you able to swap the engine without taking the tiller apart? Your pics look like it, though my manual shows quite a bit of disassembly to remove the engine. You could access the engine mount bolts and remove and install the pulley? I just picked up a 6.5 Predator engine from Harbor Freight, it replaces the now discontinued Greyhound. I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #22  
Were you able to swap the engine without taking the tiller apart? Your pics look like it, though my manual shows quite a bit of disassembly to remove the engine. You could access the engine mount bolts and remove and install the pulley? I just picked up a 6.5 Predator engine from Harbor Freight, it replaces the now discontinued Greyhound. I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

It can be be done! I swapped it out today and it went pretty well. I'm glad I has a 1/4" drive flex screwdriver to get around the pulley to finish taking out and start the mounting bolts. I broke the reverse disc taking it off and you could never access the mounting bolts with it on. New motor uses a 5/16-24 bolt instead of original 3/8" one on shaft to hold pulley. No way my engine mount pins were coming out, doing it the way the manual describes to change engine. I have to run to get bolt for pulley and then add oil and gas. I hope to be tilling in a few hours.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #23  
It works like a charm, I got the whole garden done.:thumbsup: I did make a jumper wire to disable the low engine oil switch, as it didn't like the tilt angle when deep tilling. I can't believe I was ready to spend way too much money on a new tiller and dump this 1972 one. Thanks to this site for inspiration.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #24  
i have a 1979 Troybilt Horse, 7 hp Kohler engine that could use something better. Been thinking of Harbor Freight 6.5 Predator my be the answer, but not sure how to go about it.

Do i need to check the engine mounting bolt pattern or size? Are these things all the same on Horse tillers?

thanks

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #25  
I believe the different motors do have different bolt patterns. Best to measure and be sure.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #26  
My old Kohler just keeps running. I prefer cast iron over pot metal anyway. When it finally goes south, I'll bolt on a Yanmar Diesel or a Hatz.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #27  
I believe the different motors do have different bolt patterns. Best to measure and be sure.

thanks. Never measured a bolt pattern for an engine, any clues you could give me.

HF gave me a 25% coupon for July 4 sale. Maybe i can get a new engine for this old Horse. It currently has a 1979 Kohler 7hp engine.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #28  
Nhuskys is the guy to ask if the new predator engine will interchange since he just did the swap. You could always send him a PM and ask to be sure. :thumbsup:

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #29  
Just got thru reading the posts on the Eng.swap please tell me are you still happy and have you done any extensive work with it yet? was it a simple swap did everything tie and line up without any mod work, does your horse have one belt or two belts? Would you PLEASE tell me all that you can and remember about the swap. Nice job and I would like to do it. If you want you can E-mail me my e-mail is twoone@sbcglobal Thank You, Paul

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #30  
I have a HF sales flyer for their tent sale August 26-28 showing the 6.5 hp Predator engine for $99.99 item no. 68120 (no. 68121 in California). The flyer says inside track club members get access to the sales items one hour before the general public. Haven't been to one of their tent sales in years--so I'm not sure if this means members get admitted to the sale one hour earlier or not. Some have used coupons to knock the sales price down further, too.