Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #31  
Still works like a charm after tilling all Summer and did the swap as described in 2.5 hours. As I couldn't get the engine slide pins out, I had to slide the pulley off and reach behind and get the engine mounting bolts out. The cable flex 1/4" drive screw driver was essential to get the engine mounting bolts started again. Pretty simple all in all.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #32  
Thanks for the info. am going to ck out both eng. bolt patterns and if it cks out am in for the swap.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #33  
Tiller.jpg
This is a photo of my re-do on an 82 6HP Horse with the Tecumseh engine. This site inspired me to renovate it after 30 years of service. The engine is the Predator 7HP from Harbor Freight. Sorry America (I'm as patriotic as anyone) but this engine was $99.00 with coupon. The holes mounted perfectly. The only difference required a few more shims behind the drive pulley and the shaft end was tapped 5/16-24 instead of 3/8-not a big deal. This is my second experience with Chinese engines. In both cases the engine out of the box required only 1 pull and fired off. My first engine (on a pump) has never failed to fire on first pull. I love Honda engines (still not American) but I can go through 4 of these for the price of a Honda. The tires are Oregon at $25. each from Mowtown, USA - Great name.

I really appreciate this site and enjoy the comments of others and the results of their work.

Frank

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #34  
Frank, thanks for posting your project and giving this thread a bump.

Those prices are encouraging to me as I am planning to put my Dad's old 1970's Horse back into working condition. Where did you source the Oregon tires? was it local or on the net?

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #36  
Thanks Frank. It looks great. Are you the original owner? How did you resolve the tap size problem you mentioned for the engine output shaft?

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #37  
Yes, I'm the original owner. On the tap size I simply bought a grade5 5/16-24 bolt at HD and used it instead of the 3/8 on the Tecumseh.-fw

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #38  
Frank, how has you tiller been working out?

I have a Horse II with a Kohler Magnum 8 that I am planning on picking up a 7HP Predator as well. Regarding the shaft end, I was trying to picture how that would affect installation, other than just getting a 5/16-24 bolt?

I too have learned a great deal look through the many posts here! Thanks! David

View attachment 311187
This is a photo of my re-do on an 82 6HP Horse with the Tecumseh engine. This site inspired me to renovate it after 30 years of service. The engine is the Predator 7HP from Harbor Freight. Sorry America (I'm as patriotic as anyone) but this engine was $99.00 with coupon. The holes mounted perfectly. The only difference required a few more shims behind the drive pulley and the shaft end was tapped 5/16-24 instead of 3/8-not a big deal. This is my second experience with Chinese engines. In both cases the engine out of the box required only 1 pull and fired off. My first engine (on a pump) has never failed to fire on first pull. I love Honda engines (still not American) but I can go through 4 of these for the price of a Honda. The tires are Oregon at $25. each from Mowtown, USA - Great name.

I really appreciate this site and enjoy the comments of others and the results of their work.

Frank

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #39  
David: The tiller works fine-I hate to get it dirty-but it's there to work not for show :). On the shaft situation the drive/reverse pulley assembly fit right up on the shaft without problem and fastens to the end of the shaft. In doing so the drive pulley did not properly align with the transmission pulleys and I needed to shim the back of the pulley against the engine. The Tecumseh required only one shim. I had to use around 3 washers 1/2" size to shim the Predator and align the pulleys-a minor problem.
Good luck.

Frank

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #40  
Thanks Frank,

I mounted it this afternoon, went very smooth!
I had a couple of questions, there are 2 oil fill spouts, one with a checker, and one with a cover.... The manual says .5 qt capacity, I put that in, seems to be too full, flows out if I open. Maybe just added too much?

and the throttle control attachment of course is backwards. Reckon I don't really need that, how did you, or anyone else handle that?

Thanks again! David

Oh, my 92 model Horse with the ol' 78 horse in the back! a couple other pix of the new engine mounted!

IMG_20130409_142610.jpgIMG_20130409_142540.jpgIMG_20130409_142521.jpgIMG_20130409_124654.jpg