Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #61  
I am thinking about putting this motor on my TB Horse - 6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA

Is this the correct engine and will I be able to use my bumper on my Horse with it? Any foreseeable problems or issues making this engine work on my Troybilt Horse tiller manufactured in 1988? Thanks!

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #62  
It worked on mine , about the same age, with a bumper.

Bruce

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #63  
Is that a 1 shaft or two shaft engine? I think my Troybilt econo horse has a 6 hp engine with two shafts - forward + reverse.

TROY-BILT ECONO-HORSE TILLER CATEGORY

Available replacement parts listed below, please click product number to view more information about each replacement part.

Original Model: HH60 & various other

This tiller uses a 3/4" main shaft and a 5/8" PTO shaft. The Econo Horse has a 2nd PTO shaft to run the reverse gear on the tiller.

NOTE: If you would like you can use one of the engines listed without the extra PTO shaft if you don't mind giving up reverse.
There are no engines still being made that will allow the reverse to work on this tiller.

Repower Troy-Bilt Econo-Horse Tiller

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #64  
I'm currently using the Harbor Freight 6.5 hp engine but seriously want to upgrade to the 8hp model they have for the much needed torque boost. Looks like it would take some modification as the shaft length is about an inch longer. The double pulley for the 1-inch crankshaft I do have. Has anyone else thought about this?

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #65  
Must be different soil. I can't even slow down my HF 6.5 with any work load. Same with the old Tecuseh.

Bruce

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #66  
Little update.. I replaced my oil burning Tecumseh on my Pony with a Pred and I'm about to replace the crappy Honda GC on my Cub Cadet rear tine with a Hatz Diesel. That Honda GC motor is a piece of junk.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #67  
My 80s Tecumseh on my TroyBilt Horse is running strong without appreciable oil usage and I hope to keep it that way. My best advice is to level the ENGINE when checking the oil, then use good quality oil. Check levels as a matter of habit. I like old school and I always keep my eye open for a Kohler TroyBilt (again old school) horse.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #68  
Little update.. I replaced my oil burning Tecumseh on my Pony with a Pred and I'm about to replace the crappy Honda GC on my Cub Cadet rear tine with a Hatz Diesel. That Honda GC motor is a piece of junk.

Post any pics you may have. That sounds great.

My 80s Tecumseh on my TroyBilt Horse is running strong without appreciable oil usage and I hope to keep it that way. My best advice is to level the ENGINE when checking the oil, then use good quality oil. Check levels as a matter of habit. I like old school and I always keep my eye open for a Kohler TroyBilt (again old school) horse.

Nothing beats that old school Koehler and nothing sounds like it either. The only way to kill it is to run it out of oil. I've owner several over the years and with a tune up they start on the first half pull and never quit. Since there are so many of the tillers around to assure spare parts, I'll bet the same ones will still be around and working many decades from now. That is, of course, if people are still around.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #69  
I have a K241S Kohler on my welder-generator, it has to be 40 years old. I had to get a new carb for it, the OEM carb was a single adjusting screw affair, a predecessor to the EPA compliant no adjustment screw carbs we have today but that one never worked right so I picked up a 2 screw one from flea-bay.

It runs like a top and I like to listen to the wump-wump as it chugs along and the whine of the balancer shaft gears... Nice engine. I'm sure it will outlast me.......

On the flip side the Honda I have on my Cub Cadet tiller (which tills much better than a Troy-Bilt because the tines are reverseable), I sold my Horse and kept the Pony for cultivating.... is a piece of junk. It's gonna get a Hatz diesel this summer.

I realize Honda wanted to build a consumer cheap motor but it's too cheap. Even a Lifan/Pred is a better engine.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #70  
Re: Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap asking and telling some questions

thanks

Last edited: