Troybilt Horse not running right

/ Troybilt Horse not running right #1  

Yalerider

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3510i w/FEL
I have been having issues with my tiller and need to get it fixed. I had to change the float bowl on the carburetor as it got a pinhole from rust. After that is hasn't run right. I bought a carb rebuilt kit but still it runs very bad. It will speed up then slow down and the governor will kick in, over an over, then backfire. If I tilt the unit forward it seems to run a little better for a little while then it starts again. It almost sounds like it is flooded. The only thing I havent' replaced on the carburetor is the float bowl. The spark plug looks like it is getting fouled. I suppose I will have to bring in to a mechanic but will ask here if anybody has any ideas. It has the 10 horse Briggs, 19g437.

/ Troybilt Horse not running right #2  
What engine, and therefore the carb you have. Sounds to me without knowing about the engine that the float level needs to be adjusted. There is usually a small tab that one can bend slightly on the float. This allows one to adjust how much fuel is in the bowl and available. It will definately cause flooding, running rich or lean. If this all began when you changed out the float I would really check this first.

Do you still have the old float? Perhaps you can compare the bend of the tab on the new vs old. Sometimes this tab I am refering to is on the needle jet; but just look......Good luck....Dennis

/ Troybilt Horse not running right #3  
Sounds like the needles are out of adjustment. Turn both high and low speed needles in until they just seat. Dont overtighten them. Then open each one 1 1/2 turns to start. Fire up machine and run engine in low idle and adjust low idle needle till it runs smooth without missing. Rev to high and adjust high idle needle until it runs smooth. If this doesnt fix it then start the machine and spray WD40 around the carb while you are running it at full revs. If it smooths out or starts to miss even more while spraying the WD40, it is sucking air and the intake gasket will have to be replaced. The bowl will not cause it to run rough. Also what engine and carb are on the tiller.

/ Troybilt Horse not running right
It has the 10 horse Briggs, 19g437. Replacement carb did not help. Now wondering about fuel pump.

/ Troybilt Horse not running right #5  
check the fuel filter in the gas tank. After that the fuel pump diaphrams or if you had the carb off make sure govenor is adjusted right with the right springs on. Hope this helps.