diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #1  

ed korb

Tractor
Troybuilt tiller horse HH60
I have a HH60 Horse (mid '70s model Troybuilt tiller) which I just bought from a friend. He left it out in the garden for 2 years, and failed to tell me it was having tiller turning problems when he left it there. I paid $100 for it, and it started right up with new gas and draining the carb. (Great Deal I think!)
I replaced the muffler with new gaskets and rebuilt the carb too. It was smoking a bit, from the head, so I took it off and removed the carbon build up inside the head, cleaned the gasket up and re-assembled it with gasket cement. No more smoking!

However, there is play in the drive shaft which doesn't allow the reverse disc to completely align and fully engage. Also, the tines turn until you lower them into the soil to start tilling, then you hear a metal to metal crunching, like the gears are not fully engaging.

When it is off, I can turn the tines back and forth and they will revolve, kinda like a ratcheting effect. I think there is a shim or spacer missing or maybe it's a gear problem. I also read a thread from someone else with a simular problem, but his turned out to be a bolt which came out and lodged in the Eccentric Assy.

Where can I get the diagram to assist in the breakdown and re-assembly of the unit?
I called Troybuilt to check on the cost of the parts needed, but the customer service rep said he couldn't email or fax the diagram or other info to me! So, can someone help me by suggesting where I can get the info needed. Thanks!
Ed Korb
PS I also need 2 new belts and the reverse disc ($42 for the belts and $60 for the disc.) from Troybuilt:newhere::newhere::newhere:

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #2  
Welcome aboard Ed..............

Have you tried a search?.........I just went up to "search".........specified "lawn and garden" threads...........plugged in "transmission manual" and go several results............One is a download of the total manual.......Good Luck.......Dennis

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #3  
I have a HH60 Horse (mid '70s model Troybuilt tiller) which I just bought from a friend. He left it out in the garden for 2 years, and failed to tell me it was having tiller turning problems when he left it there. I paid $100 for it, and it started right up with new gas and draining the carb. (Great Deal I think!)
I replaced the muffler with new gaskets and rebuilt the carb too. It was smoking a bit, from the head, so I took it off and removed the carbon build up inside the head, cleaned the gasket up and re-assembled it with gasket cement. No more smoking!

However, there is play in the drive shaft which doesn't allow the reverse disc to completely align and fully engage. Also, the tines turn until you lower them into the soil to start tilling, then you hear a metal to metal crunching, like the gears are not fully engaging.

When it is off, I can turn the tines back and forth and they will revolve, kinda like a ratcheting effect. I think there is a shim or spacer missing or maybe it's a gear problem. I also read a thread from someone else with a simular problem, but his turned out to be a bolt which came out and lodged in the Eccentric Assy.

Where can I get the diagram to assist in the breakdown and re-assembly of the unit?
I called Troybuilt to check on the cost of the parts needed, but the customer service rep said he couldn't email or fax the diagram or other info to me! So, can someone help me by suggesting where I can get the info needed. Thanks!
Ed Korb
PS I also need 2 new belts and the reverse disc ($42 for the belts and $60 for the disc.) from Troybuilt:newhere::newhere::newhere:

First of all, you almost certainly only need one belt. It moved back and forth between the two sets of pulleys to change gears from Hi to LO.

Most shifting problems have to do with the adjustment of the gear selector, balancing that off against the length of the belt. When I bought an early-80's Horse this spring, it shifted perfectly until the old belt grenaded. The new one was a bit tight, and so it was tricky to shift, wanting to keep turning the tines regardless.

First thing will be to replace the transmission oil. Be careful, it holds a lot. A bit over three litres, if I recall correctly. To fill it, remove the handles and that will reveal the hole into which you pour the new oil.

If you root around on the Net enough, you'll find the old, 180 page manual Troybuilt published on the Horse, back when they were called Garden Way. It's the one you need.

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #4  
Troy-Bilt Manuals and Gravely parts

Count down four from the top for the 180 page PDF.

Enjoy. It's a classic. Pay particular attention to the instructions on dust-composting with the tiller. It actually works.

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model
Thanks for the info.
I downloaded the manual.... looks like someone actually scanned every page! (Congrats to them and thanks too.)

I do actually have 2 belts on my 6HP horse.
Both are frade a bit, but still holding up.

I think the problem is the 2 keys in the back of the drive.

I will drain the crank oil first, like you recommended and then I am taking it apart, to see if they are still intact.

I had my old horse which looked just like this one, for 20 years. (I paid $650 for it in 1981, and sold it in 2001 for $300!) Should have just kept it.
I still haven't been able to figure out the year of this one yet.

HH60 - 105090F Sep- 5300D ( #'s on the Tucumseh engine housing)
186115 on the tiller body.

Any Ideas on the model year?

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

Ed Korb

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model
I read the composting section but did not see any info on the Dust Composting... what page is it on?

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #7  
that is a great link: it took me 3 tries to get it to download, it kept timing out an i am on a dsl line: i bought a cd off ebay an its not as good as this is: thanks a bunch
heehaw

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #8  
i could have this wrong, an i know there are a lot on here that know this better than i do, but some tillers are 2 speed, an they have two belts: some are 4 speed, and they have one belt: thats the way i understand it anyway.
heehaw

/ diagram needed to rebuild drive assy on Troybuilt HH60 horse model #9  
reverse disk, part number 756-04171 is $34 on ebay.
heehaw