Troybuilt Tiller

/ Troybuilt Tiller #1  

LarryC

Tractor
L2550
I'm disassembling my horse tiller to get at the lower gearbox as the wheels don't engage. The rods that the motor and pulley assembly slides up and down on are the problem, I see they have a lock bolt on the housing and I removed those, I also noticed threaded holes in the top of the rods. Before I screw something up can someone tell me how to remove the rods so I can take the motor and pulley guard off, thanks in advance.

/ Troybuilt Tiller #2  
the v-belt from the motor to the tranmission is ok, right?? i have a book on the tillers, it will be next week before i can get it out an look it over..but i'll try to remember to do that asap.
heehaw

/ Troybuilt Tiller #3  
These are the instructions from my manual for Removing the engine:

Step 1: Remove the bolts on each side of the engine mount that lock the engine mounting bars into position. Note that each has a bolt and a jam nut to hold the bar in position.

Step 2: Use a screwdriver and a mallet ora a length of rod to drive the engine mount bars down and out the holes. Take care not to damage the threaded holes in the top of the bars which are used to mount the Dozer/Snow Blade.

Step 3: Lift and remove the engine and engine mount assembly. Lift up the engine enouth to clear the lower pulley. When you lift up the engine, don't hold it by the carburetor or air cleaner. You can break the carburetor that way. Instead, pick up the engine by its steel base and the steel fuel tank mounting bracket.

With the engine cleared 1/2 inch above the lower pulley, move the assemply away from the transmission, lowering it away to clear the belts from the upper pulley. Note: Belts can be removed, if necessary, by working them off the upper pulley with your fingers. Tilt the engine toward the operator position as you work with the belts.

Sounds like you have already performed 1.

Hope this helps.

/ Troybuilt Tiller
Thanks Rich, I thought they might slide out with a little help but didn't want to get heavy handed before i knew for sure. A few years ago i would have pounded on them with no reservation, but after doing the repairing then fixing the repairs during the work i learned with look for advice, thanks again.

/ Troybuilt Tiller #5  
No problem, I understand your reservations.

If you have any other questions, I will try to help..