Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #1  

Shmudda

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I have (2) Troy Bilt Horse Tillers and I'm thinking about purchasing push blades or snow plows for them. I'm wondering how these machines do with pushing snow or dirt? I believe they will have the power, but I'm not real sure if they have the weight needed to really push any amount of snow.

Looking for opinions from those of you who have used these machines and blades for plowing and pushing snow.

Thanks,

Craig

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #2  
I used an 8 hp horse with blade for 20 years to push snow and they work GREAT but you need chains and I would say 9" of powder and 5" of wet snow is the max you can easily push. I have hills so on flat ground maybe higher totals. Its not the fastest way to move snow but works well. Again, chains made a huge difference for me.

It also worked well for pushing loose dirt and gravel. Plenty of power and the chains gave it great traction

My tractor retired that little plow but it never failed me except the one time I tried plowing without chains

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #3  
I have two (2) personal real life stories to tell:

In 1981, I paid $1,600.00 for a very compreshisive new Troy-Built Horse / PTO 8 HP Kohler equipment package - including snow chains and dozer blade.
Personal Story 1)
I had to fill approximately 1/2 acre of property (my backyard) with 14,000 cubic yards of fill dirt - to remove a potential 3' foot deep water hazard from childern in the middle of a small country town of 100 homes.
I already had the above equipment - but could not afford the services of a tractor to move, spread and level the fill dirt.
With the dozer blade, snow chains, and a cubic yard dump cart I attached to the back of the Horse / PTO - and much time - I succeeded in moving, spreading, and leveling those 14,000 cubic yards. Not fun. Not recommeded. But I did succeed in doing it.
Personal Story 2)
Later that year, using a weed wacker with a brushblade, I succeeded in severing five times (5 locations) the extension tendons on my left index finger. There was a steel pin inserted down the full length of the centern of that finger - and a full hand cast. Leaving me with just my right hand to shovel snow later that winter.
I had previsiously and prior to this built a two cement (solid) block counter weight to mount at the back of the Horse / PTO to allow the dozer blade to be used to push sand and snow (see above Personal Story 1).
That winter, with the stated left hand in full cast and the steel pin protruding outward and up ward - the snow came and it came - many feet of snow. And I could not shovel an oz of that snow. I tried one handed snow shovelling - I really did.
One handed - I managed to mount my counter balance at the back of that Troy Built Horse / PTO, mount the dozer blade at the front of the machine, and install the tire chains.
One handed - right handed - Left Hand always held up in the air - managed to remove snow from driveways and walkways of both homes I owned. Granted - it took me all day dawn to well past midnight. But I did it. Not fun. Not recommeded. But I did succeed in doing it.
So you can do a lot with a dozer blade mounted on that machine with tire chains - if you want to. Not fun. Not recommeded. But I did succeed in doing it.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #4  
PS -
I now own a Jacobsen T422D Tractor with a 51" TWO STAGE SNOWBLOWER.
But I still own all of the Troy-Built Horse /PTO equipment package I purchased back in 1981.
Come winter - I still put the old dozer blade on, mount that home made two solid cement block counter balance on the rear of the Horse / PTO, and put on the tire chains.
There are times during the winter - depending on the snow conditions - it is easier to power up the old Troy-Built and push the snow around - as opposed to firing up the Jacobsen T422D and the 51" snowblower.
I have choices now on how to manage snow removal.
And my now old and well used Troy-Built still has a place in my yearly snow removal management planning / execution.
I have a fond connection with that old Troy-Built for what it was able to do for me. I will never let it go. Even after it dies - I will keep in deep reverence for what I asked it to do and what it did and accomplished.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #5  
The son is pushing to get the 42" DR blade for our 17 HP DR Brush Mower. While it it not that much money I just wonder how much we would use it but we do have places the 8' box blade or the backhoe with a 7.5' front bucket just will not fit.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #6  
I have (2) Troy Bilt Horse Tillers and I'm thinking about purchasing push blades or snow plows for them. I'm wondering how these machines do with pushing snow or dirt? I believe they will have the power, but I'm not real sure if they have the weight needed to really push any amount of snow.

Looking for opinions from those of you who have used these machines and blades for plowing and pushing snow.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig, I purchased a 32 inch blade for my Troybilt horse at an auction two days before it snowed here about a week ago. I mounted it in about 20 minutes and was ready to go.The first snow was about 2 inches or so of dry snow, it did real good. The next snow about two days later was about four inches of wet snow. I was really surprised at how well it did. My drive is on a hill and has to be cleared it get up it. I have the regular tractor tires on the tiller and it did real good, even going up hill.
I am in southeast Indiana, four inches here is a pretty good snow, but is PA that is not a whole lot. I think you would be satisfied with the blade for small areas. I had to give a hundred dollars for the blade, but mid December is not the time to get a bargin on a snow blade. It is in very good shape, used very little. It sure saves me a lot of shoveling. Huey

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........
Thanks for all the reply's here.

It seems these machines do have the ability to push snow. I'm going to look into getting a blade.

Thanks again.......

Craig

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........
Okay, another question for all who have one of these blades and use it. Do you take the tines off when using the blade to plow snow??

I have picked one of these up locally, and removed the tines & holders to get it ready for plowing.

Craig

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #9  
Okay, another question for all who have one of these blades and use it. Do you take the tines off when using the blade to plow snow??

I have picked one of these up locally, and removed the tines & holders to get it ready for plowing.

Craig

No.

I like the extra weight in the back, keeps it a little less front heavy but if you do take them off you can raise the blade higher which is good about piling up deep snow

/ Troy Bilt Horse Snow Blade Opinions........ #10  
The owner's manual says to take the tines off for safety, but to leave the tine holders on for weight when using the snow blade.

If you were using the tiller to break dirt and the snow blade to move it, the factory procedure would seem like a pain.