Old but new troy bilt tillers

/ Old but new troy bilt tillers #1  

Taz069

Tractor
troy built
Morning all. Looking forward to posting some pics later today on the 2 old but new to m e troy bilt tillers. One has a 6-7hp tech motor the other a 5hp briggs. One has econo horse on it 5hp model. The other looks to be a horse. Not sure. Both motors hold compl, and complete. Well one has a make shift shifter. No biggie now. Will post pics soon. Looking forward to some knowledgeable input. Sorry paid $300 for both.

/ Old but new troy bilt tillers #2  
Morning all. Looking forward to posting some pics later today on the 2 old but new to m e troy bilt tillers. One has a 6-7hp tech motor the other a 5hp briggs. One has econo horse on it 5hp model. The other looks to be a horse. Not sure. Both motors hold compl, and complete. Well one has a make shift shifter. No biggie now. Will post pics soon. Looking forward to some knowledgeable input. Sorry paid $300 for both.

We like pictures. $300 sounds like a good deal. I hardly see one go for less than $500 around here.

We have an old Horse tiller. Great machine. It has got the Kohler 8 hp engine (which supposedly was the best of the troybuilts). I tore the gears box down on it this winter and you could still see the milling marks on the gears. We have used it all day everyday in the spring to till our large garden at our old place and the oil still takes a season to darken.

I have heard that the weak spot is the tiller attachment itself. I ends up wearing or bending the shaft and then leaking oil and it's not worth fixing ( according to a guy who was an old Troybuilt dealer).

/ Old but new troy bilt tillers
looknlearn said:
We like pictures. $300 sounds like a good deal. I hardly see one go for less than $500 around here.

We have an old Horse tiller. Great machine. It has got the Kohler 8 hp engine (which supposedly was the best of the troybuilts). I tore the gears box down on it this winter and you could still see the milling marks on the gears. We have used it all day everyday in the spring to till our large garden at our old place and the oil still takes a season to darken.

I have heard that the weak spot is the tiller attachment itself. I ends up weHelloaring or bending the shaft and then leaking oil and it's not worth fixing ( according to a guy who was an old Troybuilt dealer).

The big one runs also serial# 312660. Don't know much more about it. It's darn heavy took 3 of us to load it. Any knowledge of this model???

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110305_185558.png
    ForumRunner_20110305_185558.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 696
  • ForumRunner_20110305_185621.png
    ForumRunner_20110305_185621.png
    519.2 KB · Views: 483
  • ForumRunner_20110305_185641.png
    ForumRunner_20110305_185641.png
    629.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • ForumRunner_20110305_185721.png
    ForumRunner_20110305_185721.png
    666.2 KB · Views: 2,724
   / Old but new troy bilt tillers #4  
The big one runs also serial# 312660. Don't know much more about it. It's darn heavy took 3 of us to load it. Any knowledge of this model???

I have a vintage 1978 6HP Horse model that looks just like yours- -Except mine has been garaged since new and looks first class. It's all original including the tires and tines. It still starts on the second pull. I paid about $650 back then if I remember correctly. What a great product .........no wonder they went out of business......Who'd ever buy a second one?

Bet you can't get 35 years out of an MTD Troybilt today

Mike

mcrimm said:
I have a vintage 1978 6HP Horse model that looks just like yours- -Except mine has been garaged since new and looks first class. It's all original including the tires and tines. It still starts on the second pull. I paid about $650 back then if I remember correctly. What a great product .........no wonder they went out of business......Who'd ever buy a second one?

Bet you can't get 35 years out of an MTD Troybilt today

Mike

Thank you these were in/under an old barn here in the florida panhandle. I was just tickled the big one started and ran. Swapping out tines until the rain came. Thank you so much again.

/ Old but new troy bilt tillers #6  
Taz....

Check the gear lube in the tranmission before you do anything. After some use and abuse the axle seals and also the seal around the tine shaft will leak all the gear lube out, it happened to my fathers. He wasn't much for maintenance, but he ran the **** out of everything he owned!

Just rebuilt (2) of these tractors last fall. Put new engines on them both and did a complete seal replacment on one. Been using that one for plowing snow all winter, worked like a charm.

Craig

/ Old but new troy bilt tillers #7  
Taz.........YES, you got a deal. Can't tell by the pics but does the motor have one belt or two?.........Matters, for if one belt it is probably a 4 speed by changing the belt/pulley position or if 2 belts it is a 2 speed. Not really relevant for me as I run mine on the slowest pulley setting...........

For me, I would change out the tires as those on it wont get much traction in the garden. Also, it needs a depth adjustment bar there at the rear like the little one has. Yes, it matters as you set the depth that you till with it..........

Do a search for manuals and parts here on the forum.........There was LOTS of stuff posted last year about maintenance of these things and you should be able to find most all of the printed stuff with a good search or two.

DO CHANGE the fluids..........Pay particular to the levels in the drive mechanisms.........

Welcome aboard Bud.....Ya did good.........God bless.......Dennis

DennisArrow said:
Taz.........YES, you got a deal. Can't tell by the pics but does the motor have one belt or two?.........Matters, for if one belt it is probably a 4 speed by changing the belt/pulley position or if 2 belts it is a 2 speed. Not really relevant for me as I run mine on the slowest pulley setting...........

For me, I would change out the tires as those on it wont get much traction in the garden. Also, it needs a depth adjustment bar there at the rear like the little one has. Yes, it matters as you set the depth that you till with it..........

Do a search for manuals and parts here on the forum.........There was LOTS of stuff posted last year about maintenance of these things and you should be able to find most all of the printed stuff with a good search or two.

DO CHANGE the fluids..........Pay particular to the levels in the drive mechanisms.........

Welcome aboard Bud.....Ya did good.........God bless.......Dennis

Thanks for the input. Yeah understand about the depth bar. And all fluids. It has 2 belts. Will more than likely have to do seals on the output on the gears box. The dirt was on the gunkey side when I sprayed it off around the tines. It's interesting the tines on the little econo horse fit the big one. It's a project. Looking forward to putting in the dirt.