Old Troy Bilt need service advice.

/ Old Troy Bilt need service advice. #11  
My understanding is it is not the weight of the oil, but the service grade (GL1, etc) that determines if it is safe for use with bronze parts. There was a thread on this a while back and some of the guys were saying the newer formulas are safe for bronze gears....but you need to specifically check.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/145754-gl4-gl5-gear-lube-bronze.html

My local oil jobber stocks the older gear old without the additives that cause all the problems with bronze parts. You may not find it at your local box store.

/ Old Troy Bilt need service advice. #12  
My understanding is it is not the weight of the oil, but the service grade (GL1, etc) that determines if it is safe for use with bronze parts. There was a thread on this a while back and some of the guys were saying the newer formulas are safe for bronze gears....but you need to specifically check.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/145754-gl4-gl5-gear-lube-bronze.html

My local oil jobber stocks the older gear old without the additives that cause all the problems with bronze parts. You may not find it at your local box store.

Good point. Unless the oil container specifically addressed the bronze gear issue, get GL1 at a NAPA or TSC and call it good. $10 ? a gallon.
These gears are not in any great strain and a basic oil is all that is needed.
The viscosity is really only an issue to ease starting in real cold weather or to deal with extreme tilling in extreme hot weather.
I can't recall what my GL1 "mineral oil" from NAPA was but I think just 90W.
We have used these tillers for decades and one thing you do not want to do is pull it apart to replace bushings. Although if you do it once, it's much easier the second time.

/ Old Troy Bilt need service advice. #13  
my manual says gear oil must have an API rating of GL-4 only, for full oil replacement: small top-offs can use GL-3, GL-4, or GL-5:
heehaw

/ Old Troy Bilt need service advice. #14  
Which year manual do you have?

I have the 3rd edition manual that came with my mine in 1982. It says there are bronze worm gears in the transmission, and to use only 90 or 140 SAE gear oil, but I can't find a specification for the oil. It does say not to use automotive type gear oils as they are too light.

/ Old Troy Bilt need service advice. #15  
about a 82 model, i have looked everywhere in town, an cannot find 140weight in GL-4...can find 90 weight in GL4 and GL5....an thats only at one auto parts store...i wish i knew what the difference in 4 an 5 are??? 5 is everywhere....
heehaw