Troy Bilt pony tiller

/ Troy Bilt pony tiller #1  

steviep

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 JD 4300
I bought a troy bilt pony tiller this weekend for 25 dollars. It doesn't run yet. The engine was changed out at some time with a single shaft so no reverse.
The compresion is less then 50 so I am thinking it might be junk. It is a Briggs so changing it out can't be to hard if I can find one. It seems that HF doesn't have anymore of the $99 ones.
The numbers on the transmission are P53193 if any has more info for me.

/ Troy Bilt pony tiller #2  
Troy-Bilt Pony Tiller Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse

Check those guys out for Pony engines. That is a steal even if it needs a new engine. Since you got such a great deal put a Kawasaki on .........wooooo woooooooo. Check the gear oil level by undoing the little square bolt on the side above the axle. If it is low fill with a straight viscocity gear oil. Mulit viscosity gear oil will corrode the bronze gears in a Pony. We don't use the reverse much here. Usually just pull it backwards. Mine is 20 years old and is about ready for some more tines. The engine still runs but when it konks out I'm going to get a Honda to go on it...at least that is the plan. Congrats on your deal!:thumbsup: