troy bilt or simplicity?

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I am in the market for a tiller. I used a troy bilt before & was very impressed with it (horse model). I heard that the troy line isn't what it used to be since MTD purchased them, so I am also considering a simplicity. Does anyone out there have any experience with the recently built troy or simpicity tillers?

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #2  
Troy-Bilt has been cheapened up since MTD (More Tools Desired) acquired them, at least the lower cost models. The Horse is basically unchanged, still the same transmission but a cheaper engine.

I'd find an older Horse on CraigsList or Fleabay and buy that. They are indestructible and a replacement engine is cheaper than a new Horse.

A new set of tines, some non rotted tires, an oli change and run it.

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #3  
I agree 100% with what 5030 posted.

We purchased one of the newer TroyBilt tillers, and then I recently inherited one of the older models. I have a love/hate relationship with the newer machine. It does a good job under good conditions, but it isn't heavy enough on the wheels to keep the tines from occasionally suddenly propelling the machine forward when the tines hit hard soil or a clump of weeds. When I inherited the older machine, it made the newer machine look like a toy.

The older machines are still out there, and parts are available including replacement engines (no-brand engines for as little as $75).

I researched buying a Simplicity before I got the older TroyBilt, and found parts for them, but the availability was not as widespread as for the older TroyBilt machines.

If you are mechanically inclined, buy an older machine and "fix it up".

If you're not mechanically inclined, go to a local small-engine repair place and ask them what they recommend.

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #4  
After comparing price and features last year, I bought a Cub Cadet tiller. Forward and reverse tine rotation, Honda engine for $400 less than the mid-range TB without either of those features. It's not an old Horse, But I probably won't wear it out. CC and TB are both built by MTD.

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #5  
I agree that the old Horse tillers can't be beat. I got one from a friend with a bad engine and replaced it in less than 45 minutes. I did have the original service manual which helped but it was failry simple and there are great forums out there for Troy Bilt tillers that can answer any and all questions you have. I belong to one called Troy Bilt Tiller Club which is awesome. I even posted some pics out there of my original enigine with the carb linkage because someone else had the same one but forgot how the linkage went. He was thrilled to have the pics so he could reassemble his exactly how it was supposed to go. There's all kinds of good people willing to help out there so don't be afraid of the old iron. If you have a few basic tools and some patience you will end up with a better machine.

I don't know much about the Simplicity tillers but they still make awesome tractors.

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #6  
Interestingly, I have an Ariens Rocket in the barn with a Tecumseh HH engine on it that my intent was rebuilding but I don't have the time and I already have an older Troy Bilt.

I'd part with it for 70 bucks.

If I had a smaller tractor, I'd buy a rear mount tiller. It seems as though even the older Horse, when it encounters a hard clump or root, jumps a bit. I'm in my 60's and it's a bit disconcerting.

I was looking at a BCS but they are just too over the top price wise. Im retired so my pockets aren't bottomless.

I was given (last year) a Sears front tine with an 8.5 Briggs. I made a hitch so I can mount the front tine to the back of my quad. Works fantastic for breaking sod. All the 'kick' is absorbed by the quad and the 8.5 Briggs powers through sod in one pass.

I don't believe I'd want to be hanging on to the Sears breaking sod, but the quad hangs on just fine.

/ troy bilt or simplicity? #7  
I've heard that the Ariens rocket is a good tiller, too.

I think any rear tine tiller is going to self propel when the tines hit a root or if you try to till too deep a bite. The lighter the machine, the worse it is.

The preMTD Troy bilt was a great machine, but Garden Way evidently bit off too much and went bankrupt. At least MTD has continued the brand and to make parts available. That's a plus.

The negative --I had two tines to break on a new Troy Bilt, and never had any to break on my old one.