Tryo Bilt Horse / Hatz Diesel

/ Tryo Bilt Horse / Hatz Diesel #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
I have an older horse that's in good shape except for the motor and I've been considering going diesel. Will the Hatz provide the ooomph necessary to power the Horse?

Custom machining is no problem.

I'd have a poor man's BCS.:D

/ Tryo Bilt Horse / Hatz Diesel #2  
I am not familiar with the Hatz engines other than their name. I am sure they are a good engine and I would guess they have a big bore, lower RPMs, and a heavy built block. My concern would be the balance of the machine, I have a 91 Horse with the 8HP Kohler Magnum which is a cast iron engine. I would check the specs of the Hatz against what kind of a gas engine you would want to install. If you have the Hatz for free that might be the way to go but I would not be surprised if you don't have to add weights on the tiller section to keep it in the ground. Personally I think a good Honda or Kohler will spin the tines faster and get a better result but let us know how you get along with your project.

Steve

/ Tryo Bilt Horse / Hatz Diesel
The Hatz is rated at 3600 rpm and it's an aluminum block with a shrunk in cast steel liner and no, I'd have to buy one and they aren't cheap by any means.

I know the lower end on a Horse is way overbuilt so it should easily handle the torque. I've had mine apart (for seals) and it's very robust inside.

Don't know if the new ones are built like the older (pre MTD) Troybilts, but I have to assume they are. They look the same at any rate.