Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
Hello:

I just acquired a Troy Bilt Horse that needs some work. Serial 178675. The pulley that goes to the engine does not seem to attach the way I think it should. From the looks of it, the pulley "floats" on the engine crankshaft, and all the crannkshaft bolt holds a washer and the square key in place. I can't tell from the online manuals if this is right.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Wayne

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #2  
Hello Wayne,

There are shims (washers) on the shaft on the engine side of the pulley (that is, behind the pulley). With the correct selection of shims, the pulley should have very little end play. The shims on mine, when stacked together, are about 1/4" thick. The shims have an inner diameter of 3/4" and outer diameter 1".

TroyBilt_Horse_Crank_2.jpg

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount
Ted:

Thanks for the fast response. Well, something is wrong on mine, or at least "I don't get it".

The crankshaft is about 2 3/8" long, but the length of the pulley is 3", so the pulley is longer than the keyed crankshaft.

If you would not mind, could you please measure the lenth of your pulley? Not the diameter, but where the shaft goes. Maybe somebody put an aftermarket pulley on this one?

Thank you!

Wayne

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #4  
My pulley is longer than the shaft, too. The shaft is 2-3/8" like yours, but my pulley is only 2-3/4" long. However, the shims add another 1/4", which would then match the length of your pulley. You can see how the end of the shaft doesn't reach the end of the pulley in the attached picture.

When the pulley is installed, the distance from the outer edge of the ball bearing to the center of the larger diameter V-groove of the pulley is 3-3/16".

TroyBilt_Horse_Crank_3.jpg

Ted: OK , thanks. I think we're tracking then. So the bolt in the crankshaft that I have, along with the flat washer and lock washer fit inside the pulley shaft, which basically lets the pulley slide on that shaft? At least that is how mine is set up, does that sound like yours? Or do you have a larger diameter flat washer that goes over the pulley? My pulley has two sheeves but they are both the same diameter.

Attached are two pics on the bench.

Thank you

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0263a.jpg
    IMG_0263a.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_0266a.jpg
    IMG_0266a.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 434
   / Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #6  
Hello Wayne
I am confused are TedLaRue's pics of yours or his as reference.
The engine pulley will need to be firmly positioned above the gear box input pulley.

I own a 5HP Pony. Remove your tines, because mine were on for many years and one day I got a big weed behind the axle seals. I sent hours getting the tines off. I pull them now once a year 5 minutes.

I see you posted pics when I was typing.
I dropped back to the Troy site and I looked at a typical horse engine . At max zoom it needs a bit more.

Go to the Troy Bilt .com and the pics are good your , reference is not clear enough.
Craig Clayton

Last edited:
I think if I understand this parts diagram correctly, there is supposed to be a large flat washer that goes over the pulley, and that hold the pullet firmly against the cranksahft and the shim washers? If I have that right, does anyone have a picture of that? Here is what I am looking at:

Parts and Diagrams for Troy-Bilt HORSE I 6HP ROTO TILLER (S/N 1001-639999)

Thanks

Wayne

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #8  
The bolt definitely does not go inside the pulley shaft. That pulley is fixed on the shaft. Some models have a "reversing disk" which mounts on the pulley, with the bolt going through that disk before going into the crankshaft.

Other models have another type of disk. Either way, you definitely don't want that pulley floating on the shaft.

Ted: OK, sounds like it it time to get out the plasma cutter and make a large washer. They have some "felt" like reverser disc mentioned, but I sure did not see on on this, and I sure did not take one off... The interesting thing then is that the pulley extends past the shaft by 0.92" about. Not sure why.

thank you again

Wayne

/ Question about Troy Bilt Horse pulley mount #10  
I think that other type of disk is a "fiber" reversing disk.

And yes, I agree that it is a little strange for the pulley to extend that far beyond the end of the shaft. But I guess that is a standard shaft length for that engine. Even if the shaft were longer, I don't think it would make the setup any stronger. I'm sure that pulley is as strong as the shaft would have been.

Is the transmission pulley intact? You might want to try to match them up to see how it is supposed to work. I think that disk may be critical to the operation of the machine (primarily in moving in reverse). Making a big metal washer might not work. Maybe when the reverse disk wore out, the previous owner rigged it to work only forward??

I've had very good luck finding all sorts of parts for the older TroyBilt machines on-line (including some on eBay). The hardest part was determining which parts matched my particular model. From your serial number, your machine apparently was produced in late 1975 and is a Horse I (not the later Horse II).

You should be able to find the disk you need for either $25 or a conversion for $55 depending on what you need.

These machines are worth fixing, even if it costs a few bucks. Good luck!