trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle?

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
Guys:

I'd like to take out the axle to check the bushings and repace the seals in the wheel axle of this old Troy Bilt Horse I picked up.

I don't exactly see anything holding it in, but I don't want to start banging yet either....

It looks like I need to remove the shift level for changing gears, and that has a drift pin in it. But is there something else after I get that out of the way I need to know?

I did a few seaches and came up empty.

thanks

Wayne

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle?
forget this post... I just saw on the parts book the snap rings behind the seal.

Any other tricks?

Wayne

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #3  
Remove the seals, remove the snap rings, fish out the washers that act as shims, behind that are bronze bushing that will need to be removed to get the axle out. There is a flattened half moon key in the center of the axle that works to remove the bushings by driving the axle out with a rubber mallet, just be careful that the key doesn't fall out or you will have to take off the handle assembly and go fishing with a magnet in all that heavy gear lube.

Randy:

Thanks so much. I figured out the shims and snap ring after looking at the parts diagram. Should have done that first.

And you are right when you say "fish" out the shims... What the heck, the ones closest to the bushing on the inside of those snap rings are a trick to get out!!!!!

take care and thanks for the reply

Wayne

Randy: Did I miss something? The axle does not slide out when the C clips are removed. Do I need to remove the shift lever some how? The axle slides on all the gears for a bit, but then stops and does not go any further, regardless of what direction I push the axle shaft.

Wayne
Wayne@flymha.com

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #6  
I just PM'ed you but for the other people out there. The axle has a big half moon key in the center that will slide through a keyway in the gears but because of the bronze axle bushings the axle won't come out of the transmission, and you cannot remove the key without removing the axle because there is no room inside the transmission to pull the key out of the shaft.

You have to turn the axle to slide through the gears so it butts upto the bronze axle bushing then you have to drive the axle out, the half moon key pushes the bushing out, and the axle will come out.

Save the old bushing because it makes a good punch for installing the new bushings.

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #7  
I had a very tough weed stem get in under my tine seal. I thought it was done for oil pouring out. I had a hard time getting the tines off as I mentioned before. I finally removed the tines and removed the weed stem that was under the seal. ( I did not replace the seal) I refilled the gearbox with 80/90 SAE EP oil. OEM is SAE EP 140.
This summer the bracket for the ratchet holder broke off the last bolt. I had to remove two 5/16" broken studs.

I would suggest you try to remove the axle seals without tearing out the axle. To reinstall the axle seals slip them into place and GENTLY tap them with fiber block.

I have changed the grease seals on trailer axles before.

Craig Clayton

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #8  
Most people change the seals after finding a oil leak. They leak because the axle and bushings are worn. So if he is going through the trouble of replacing the seals he might as well do the bushing while he is at is to avoid future problems.

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #9  
I'm rebuilding/restoring a Troy Bilt Horse. I finally got all parts I need and ready to start putting back together. The bronze axle bushings have little notches in them on one end. I know from taking it apart the these notches go towards the inside, but is there something that they need to line up with. I don't see anything so not sure which way to put them. Also when installing bushings how far in do they go? Just flush with inside of transmission housing?

How much are these old tillers worth when restored? I don't have a lot of need for it. Was just one of those projects that went from replacing seals to might as well do a full rebuild. Now without doing anything to the engine, I'm about $550 into it.

Thanks

/ trick to removing Troy bilt Horse axle? #10  
Randy, thank you for this information, it is exactly what I needed as well. Where can a person buy the bushings, bearings and axle? I also need a PTO pulley for this machine. Thanks!

I just PM'ed you but for the other people out there. The axle has a big half moon key in the center that will slide through a keyway in the gears but because of the bronze axle bushings the axle won't come out of the transmission, and you cannot remove the key without removing the axle because there is no room inside the transmission to pull the key out of the shaft.

You have to turn the axle to slide through the gears so it butts upto the bronze axle bushing then you have to drive the axle out, the half moon key pushes the bushing out, and the axle will come out.

Save the old bushing because it makes a good punch for installing the new bushings.