Simplicity RT9016

/ Simplicity RT9016 #1  

jc21

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD X320
I'm looking for some owner feedback on the Simplicity/Snapper RT9016 tiller. Simplicity Chippers, Brush Mowers, Leaf Blowers & Lawn Vacuums The $899 price (about the upper limit of our budget) seems decent given its standard bumper guard and hiller/ furrower attachment and the dealer is but a couple of miles away. I've found almost no feedback from owners which makes me a bit leery. TIA

/ Simplicity RT9016 #2  
I am interested in this model too. I rented the honda frc 800 and it seems to be a cadillac, but boy is it expensive too.

/ Simplicity RT9016
I'll let you know JC ....... they're supposed to deliver it today.

/ Simplicity RT9016 #4  
Ok thanks. Is the hiller standard or extra? Also, are there pins for the axels and wheels, or is there an actual neutral?

/ Simplicity RT9016
The hiller/furrower is standard equipment and came in a box labeled "Made In China". Still have to assemble the hiller/furrower but on first impression it seems made well enough. No neutral, just forward and reverse. To free wheel you move pins on the axles. It rolls easily enough in the free wheel position. Two year warranty for residential use. The tines haven't met soil yet ...... hopefully later today if the weather cooperates.My initial impressions are good ones- fit and finish are good, it seems nicely balanced, a lot of machine for this price point.

Fwiw the Earthquake 7055C appears to be the identical machine except for the paint color. Rear Tine Rototiller SRT with 206cc Briggs and Stratton Engine - Detail information for Rear Tine Rototiller SRT with 206cc Briggs and Stratton Engine There's some good pics of the the hiller furrower, drive system, and pins.

Last edited:
   / Simplicity RT9016
Between work and rain I've only got a couple of hours of tilling in JC, but so far I'm pleased. Starts easily (B&S 900 Series Intek motor) though a bit cold blooded- it needs to warm up for a minute or two before you open the throttle. It reminds me of my previously owned (1980's vintage) Troy Bilts (Pony snd later a Horse) in that you have to start shallow or it will bite you and take off on its own. It seems better balanced than the Horse ..... not as top heavy. It threw up a few good size rocks (rocks seem to grow here better than most anything else) with little drama compared to the front tine tillers I've been renting and borrowing the last few years. And it didn't jam- all the the front tine tillers and auntie's Mantis I've used all jammed up one time or another with rocks.

One nice surprise is how well it seems to handle organic matter. I mulch with hay and straw and it worked last years stuff into the ground with very little tangling in the tines. What little there was mostly unwound itself in reverse. What I like best is how much easier this machine is on me. Two hours in this "soil" with a rented front tine Merry Tiller and you almost feel like you've survived a couple of rounds of bareback bronc competition at the rodeo.

The negatives- moving the pins on the wheels so you can freewheel isn't as nice as as having a neutral but I knew that going in. For me it's a minor inconvenience, not a deal breaker. Also, the drag stake requires pulling a pin to set the tilling depth. pretty rudimentary compared to Troy Bilt's setup but it works well enough. Murphy's Law says however, that pin will go missing at some point so I'll probably order up a spare. Haven't tried the hiller/ furrower yet.

/ Simplicity RT9016 #7  
I notice this post is about a year old but I just happened to stumble across it. I've been using a RT9016 for about 3 years now in a hobby size garden (about 50X30). I was a little leery of it at first, but after using it a while I'm pretty happy with it. The first year was starting a new garden on hard red clay pasture (I live in OK) but it broke up the ground just fine. I added all the stuff (topsoil, mulch, sand, etc) and it did a good job of mixing with a minimum of jerking around. It's very easy to handle while moving forward but is a little clumsy to turn in a tight corner. I've never been a huge fan of Briggs&Stratton but this one has pretty much changed my mind. Starts first pull every time and runs great. I like the gas valve because I turn off the gas and run it dry at the end of each season. My biggest complaint is the forward and reverse levers on the right handle. They are very clumsy to grab which contributes to the turning problem in a tight space where you have to go forward, back up, go forward, etc. My second biggest complaint is lack of a neutral for transport, but pulling the wheel pins isn't really that big of a deal. I also wish it had a some kind of separate clutch for operating the wheels without turning the tines, but I don't know if any of them have that. The furrower works surprisingly well, provided the dirt is well mixed. All in all, I'd probably buy another one. One 1 to 10 I'd probably give it an 8.

/ Simplicity RT9016 #8  
:welcome:

/ Simplicity RT9016 #9  
Guys- i ended up finding a fair deal on a used TB econo horse. It seems to be fine so far, but i may need this info one day, if i ever have to buy new.
Its about time to get the tiller out!
JC

/ Simplicity RT9016
One 1 to 10 I'd probably give it an 8.

I'd agree- good review, zimmerman45. It isn't a Troy Bilt Horse but then neither is the price. The only real issue I've had with mine was a soft tire. The tire stopped moving, the rim didn't and I partially sheared off the valve stem on the inner tube. Tire pressure was OK beginning of this season- something must have punctured the tube.