Garden Tiller

/ Garden Tiller #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
Who makes a pretty good garden tiller? If you were buying what features would you look for? Not a huge garden but about 40 x100.

Patrick

/ Garden Tiller #2  
What kind of tiller are you talking about? One for a 3-point hitch and PTO powered by a tractor? If so, what tractor? A pull behind for a "garden tractor" or "lawn tractor"? A walk behind? If so, front or rear tine? If rear tine, forward or counterrotating?

/ Garden Tiller
Sorry, it would be a walk behind. I am not sure about the front or rear tine though. The old one was a front tine but I am open to suggestions.

Patrick

/ Garden Tiller #4  
Rear tine is a lot easier to use, and seems to work better. If you are going to use it to break ground with get a big one 8 HP or better. At one time I would have recommended Troy Built, but they are not what they used to be. Ok I guess but nothing like the tanks they used to be.

/ Garden Tiller
I won't be using it to break ground with because I have to justify owning a plow and disc since we have almost gone out of the tabacco business. What is the postitive and negative aspects of the rotation of the blades? I had thought about the troybilt but were sold out at the local lowes. Which I was glad about but hard to find some locally to repair anything anyhow?

Patrick

/ Garden Tiller #6  
I have one of the old troybilt 8 h.p. horse models and its been a good one,but troy bilt I heard went under a couple years ago and was bought out by who I'm not sure.I just got a brochure in the mail this week from troybilt,or whoever owns them now,and they still make the horse and a10 h.p. one as well,along with other models,they look like mine,but they have a briggs and stratton engine,mine has a kohler,which doesn't really mean much,kohlers blow up to.The bigger ones are expensive,www.troybilt.com.There used to be another one that was very good also,it was blue,hadinitals for a name,can't think of it,I believe it was made in italy or some such place,they sold them ,I know as late as 5,6 ,years ago,maybe somebody can help there,but they are expensive to,if you could find a used older 8 h.p. troy bilt,I'm pretty sure you can still get parts for them off the new troybilt,that would be a good thing,if it was running I mean. RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Garden Tiller #7  
What I have is a 3ph tiller for my tractor for ground prep and a little 10" wide 2-cycle motor tiller for cultivating. This makes a great combo.

/ Garden Tiller #8  
I also have a 8HP Troybilt. Since MTD bought them (IMHO) they have gone down hill. Parts were very hard to get last year and mine waited in the shop for several months. The "blue" tiller reference is for BCS which I believe is made in Italy (?). I haven't had the opportunity to use one, however, hear they are an excellent machine. You buy the power head and they can take several additional attachments. Anything half way decent today is a little salty on price, however, you only get what you pay for. In the next year or 2 I hope to sell my Troybilt and give the BCS a shot. My garden plot is only about 30ft x 60ft. The 8HP is a little overkill, however having a little more HP and weight makes a big difference in a walk-behind unit. The model I had for about 15 yrs prior to that was the Troy-bilt 5HP Pony. Again, an excellent machine in its time, and there were plenty of places to get them serviced back then as they had independent dealers.

/ Garden Tiller #9  
My old neighbor in Ohio had a BCS tiller. He had a couple of attachments for it. I always thought it was a slick machine. Built like a tank.

BCS Web Page

/ Garden Tiller #10  
I have a 5HP Weedeater rear tine tiller. Small, but works great. It can really bust up the sod if you're breaking new ground. I did our 20 x 40 garden last night(existing garden, not sod). It took about a half hour. It was only $399.00 a few years ago.