Replacing engine on old troybilt horse

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #1  

bswindell

Tractor
ford 600 jd 5003 troybilt horse
could uses some advise on new engine to replace old 6hp tecumseh I want to be able to use throttle cable I kind of concerned about the engines I've see with the throttle on the front of the engine

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #2  
So are you replacing the engine entirely? You can pick up engines at Harborfreight or even go to a Lawnmower repair place and see what they have laying around. The throttle cables with levers you can pick up at some hardware stores or Ebay for cheap.

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #3  
The 6.5 HP cheapo HF engine is a perfect replacement, but you'll lose the throttle cable, though I'm sure it won't be hard to staple one to it.

If you look in a few DIY magazines you can sometimes find a $99 coupon. I installed the exact engine on mine and it works a treat! You will need to add a few washers to adjust for the reverse disc alignment.

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse
Thanks for the help

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #5  
You could go all Tim Allen and put a nice Kohler 20hp on there and really get the dirt flying. :thumbsup:

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #6  
I found a used front tine tiller at a yard sale that looked great with a nice new looking Briggs engine on it. I bought the tiller for $100 and it took me and my son less than an hour to have it running with the new engine. It pretty much bolted right on. The tiller works great now. I think it is a 6 HP, but I would have to walk all the way out to the shed to check for sure.

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #7  
This one is a HF engine that I put on my Horse, all that was needed were a couple shims to line up the engine pulley and transmission pulley.

http://www.harborfreight.com/predator-212-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-certified-for-all-states-except-california-68120.html

Attachments

• tiller.jpg
    tiller.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 3,258
   / Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #9  
There are a couple threads on this if you search. Some guys used the Honda engine as well.

/ Replacing engine on old troybilt horse #10  
There are a couple threads on this if you search. Some guys used the Honda engine as well.

The cheapo chinese engine is a Honda, just without the sticker. Even spare parts match up to Honda.