1979troy-bilt horse questions

/ 1979troy-bilt horse questions #1  

nod

Bronze Member
I found one for sale it needs some work. Is this year model a good tiller to get, i know it needs wheel seals. Can parts still be bought for it? I don't want to get in a hurry and buy something that isn't any good. It has a 8hp brigs on it.

/ 1979troy-bilt horse questions #3  
You should be able to get parts, the old Troy Bilts have kind of a cult following. Briggs is one of the easiest engines to find parts for ant any Briggs parts source. I have a Horse from the 80s but it has never needed parts. I don't have rocks in the soil so she is on easy street.

/ 1979troy-bilt horse questions
I read there is some models to stay away from, but don't know which one. Don't matter now, the guy sold it after I said I would take it.

/ 1979troy-bilt horse questions #5  
If you find another horse there should be no hesitation in buying it. Any of them will eventually have seal problems. I own a 7 hp horse from 1987 bought from the factory store in Troy, NY . In the past 25 years I've replaced axle seals once. The key is taking the wheels off periodically and keeping the axle greased. Buy reinforced tines if your soil is rocky. Clean Cutter is a good after-market supplier at reasonable pricing.