Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement #1  

garry

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 1050
I have an old Troy-bilt tiller that leaks oil around the axel seals. does anyone know how these seals are replaced?
do I have to split the transmission housing and drive them out from the inside? Do I need special tools?

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement #2  
I've been meaning to reply to this. I keep forgetting to look-up the replacement procedure when I get home. I replaced the seals yrs. ago & I don't remember what all I had to do. I have the manual at home.

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement #3  
What axel is leaking? The one that drives the tires or the rear axel for the tines. I have a service manual and can check. I did both mine a few years ago but can't remember the exact procedure for each.

Dave...

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement #4  
I had to change my drive axle seals about 20 years ago. The biggest problem was getting the wheel hubs off. You have to drive out a roll pin in the hub, no problem and then pull the hub off of the axle, big problem. I wound up welding a LARGE nut on the hub so that I could screw in a large bolt against the end of the axle and push the hub off of the axle. I just kept the bolt in my toolbox for future use.

To the best of my memory the seals can be changed from the outside of the tranny case.

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement
Just changed the seals on the wheel axels and it turned out to be a piece of cake. wheels came off easy and seals came out with a screw driver.

/ Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement #6  
You are SO lucky. Glad it worked out fine.