Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050

Default Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement

I have an old Troy-bilt tiller that leaks oil around the axel seals. does anyone know how these seals are replaced?
    do I have to split the transmission housing and drive them out from the inside? Do I need special tools?

Tractor
    JD 955, Economy Power King

Default Re: Troy-bilt tiller seal replacement

I've been meaning to reply to this. I keep forgetting to look-up the replacement procedure when I get home. I replaced the seals yrs. ago & I don't remember what all I had to do. I have the manual at home.

What axel is leaking? The one that drives the tires or the rear axel for the tines. I have a service manual and can check. I did both mine a few years ago but can't remember the exact procedure for each.

Dave...

I had to change my drive axle seals about 20 years ago. The biggest problem was getting the wheel hubs off. You have to drive out a roll pin in the hub, no problem and then pull the hub off of the axle, big problem. I wound up welding a LARGE nut on the hub so that I could screw in a large bolt against the end of the axle and push the hub off of the axle. I just kept the bolt in my toolbox for future use.

To the best of my memory the seals can be changed from the outside of the tranny case.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050

Just changed the seals on the wheel axels and it turned out to be a piece of cake. wheels came off easy and seals came out with a screw driver.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

You are SO lucky. Glad it worked out fine.