2 speed or 4 speed?

/ 2 speed or 4 speed? #1  

dharrill

Tractor
troy bilt horse tiller
I have a horse SN 663626, trying to figure out where I can get a manual for it or what year it is. Also is it a 2 speed or 4 speed. It has a high and low with forward and reverse. So would that make it a 4 speed.

/ 2 speed or 4 speed? #2  
I have a horse SN 663626, trying to figure out where I can get a manual for it or what year it is. Also is it a 2 speed or 4 speed. It has a high and low with forward and reverse. So would that make it a 4 speed.

I have a 4 speed horse. It has a double pulley on the engine shaft and a double pulley on the transmission shaft. It also has a SINGLE belt between the two. The 4 speed comes in by changing the belt from one set of pulley grooves to the other set, front to back or back to front. The pulleys (or sheaves) are slightly different sizes in the groves thus when combined with the high/low speed shifter gives you 2 speeds for each belt position-----total 4 speeds. I have mine in the lower speed position and have never changed it since we bought the tiller in I believe 1976. (except to replace the belt) I think that the older 2 speed Troy-Bilts used 2 belts on matching sized pulleys, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

See if this link works for the manual.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/...ngId=-1&modelNumber=horse&serialNumber=663626

Paul