Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I bought one a bit over a year ago. It is a beast, and will make crumble out of any soil it goes after. However, lately the shifter is stuck - I cannot change gears without a fight, it is stuck and stuck hard.

This is only has a few hours of use and it is too young to be having this sort of problem. I've poked around the net and this is apparently not a rare problem for this machine. But solutions are not easy to come by. the most comprehensive take I found said to use a lot of penetrating oil and hope, because if that doesn't work is is a major disassemble-the-transmission job.

I was hoping someone here might have an insight!

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #2  
If it is like most of the MTD rear tine tillers, water runs down the shifter rod into the tranny, and the moisture causes the hex rod that the shift gear rides on to rust, I mean like the flaky corroded type rust, freezing the shifter. Most people think the tranny should be sealed, but per MTD tech support, is designed to leak.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #3  
RandyT may very well be right. In the past I've repaired a couple of these units that "would shift but not move" after disassembling a roll pin had sheared off. A several hour repair for a fifty cent roll pin. That pin on yours may be about to break, broke, or loose. I have one of these units I put 50 hours on last year and it did very well, no major isssues.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #4  
I have more of the Yardman, Yard Machine units apart than I want to count. About a 3-4 hour job, and that expensive special MTD grease. Like $15.99 per tube, and it takes 5.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #5  
If it is like most of the MTD rear tine tillers, water runs down the shifter rod into the tranny, and the moisture causes the hex rod that the shift gear rides on to rust, I mean like the flaky corroded type rust, freezing the shifter. Most people think the tranny should be sealed, but per MTD tech support, is designed to leak.

I am interested in one of these machines. If one keeps it out of the rain, will it be good to go then with no tranny issues?

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #6  
I am interested in one of these machines. If one keeps it out of the rain, will it be good to go then with no tranny issues?

I have one, 2 years old, always in shed, never seen rain. This year, after successfully using it last fall, got stuck in gear this year when I just tried to til.

It was tight, I jammed it towards reverse till, and it got stuck on the way in teh forward till selection.

I have spent some time on the net, and lots of folks have issues with this. If it were me, I would not get this model.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #7  
I have one, 2 years old, always in shed, never seen rain. This year, after successfully using it last fall, got stuck in gear this year when I just tried to til.

It was tight, I jammed it towards reverse till, and it got stuck on the way in teh forward till selection.

I have spent some time on the net, and lots of folks have issues with this. If it were me, I would not get this model.

Thanks for the input. What are your plans with the tiller. Cub has a three year warranty. I read online that MTD changed their tranny slightly with the 2013 models to combat the issues some folks are having with them.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #8  
Thanks for the input. What are your plans with the tiller. Cub has a three year warranty. I read online that MTD changed their tranny slightly with the 2013 models to combat the issues some folks are having with them.

Well I bought it used off a guy, he had it a year, was barely any paint worn off...but I don't have the proof of purchase. I guess I can call them today, can't hurt.

I did start to take it apart, I figure if I can fix it great, if not, I take it to the dump and write off this brand.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Tiller #9  
Rusted shift parts, and water infiltration of the tranny is not covered by warranty, I am afraid to say. Been there done that as a MTD service center.