Draw back of only using a CRT tiller

/ Draw back of only using a CRT tiller #1  

ohiobeagler

I'm in the market for a new tiller. I am thinking of buying the Cub Cadet RT65 (dual rotating tines) or the Troy Bilt Super Bronco (counter rotating tines). I understand the benefits dual rotating but what if one only used the crt tiller? Will this still produce good soil conditions? My soil is very rocky and sandy. Thanks.

/ Draw back of only using a CRT tiller #2  
First let me say I'm not here to tell you what to. But here's why I bought a RT65. The "dual rotating tines" on the RT65 means they will rotate either direction. Clockwise or counter clockwise, I'm not sure if the Bronco has that option. Now don't take this as bragging but I raised a 60' X 240' truck garden last year and other than the initial plowing and discing (it was in fescue sod) I tilled the whole deal with the RT65 all season. I tried the "forward rotating tine" a couple times but didn't find it useful. With this "gear" selection the tines rotate in the same direction as the drive tires and the unit will "take off" on you unless you'll in really soft ground. I discuss my thoughts on the RT with some other guys in a thread from last spring/summer if you can find it on here. I can talk more this evening if you need to.

/ Draw back of only using a CRT tiller
First let me say I'm not here to tell you what to. But here's why I bought a RT65. The "dual rotating tines" on the RT65 means they will rotate either direction. Clockwise or counter clockwise, I'm not sure if the Bronco has that option. Now don't take this as bragging but I raised a 60' X 240' truck garden last year and other than the initial plowing and discing (it was in fescue sod) I tilled the whole deal with the RT65 all season. I tried the "forward rotating tine" a couple times but didn't find it useful. With this "gear" selection the tines rotate in the same direction as the drive tires and the unit will "take off" on you unless you'll in really soft ground. I discuss my thoughts on the RT with some other guys in a thread from last spring/summer if you can find it on here. I can talk more this evening if you need to.

sent you a pm

/ Draw back of only using a CRT tiller #4  
Yeah I'm still happy with the RT 65. As a matter of fact I got it out a week ago and did a little work with it. Which means it was setting in the same spot in the machinery barn as it was last November when I finished with it. I fully choked it, half throttle, 6 pulls and it started and we headed to the garden. Yes I checked the oil. I don't recommend the RT 65 for hard ground and it won't work sod ground with any satisfaction. I didn't purchase my RT with the intent of breaking new ground, I have plows and disk for that. I use it to prepare seedbeds and to cultivate tall crops the a tractor and cultivators can't get over. I have not had transmission trouble that others have mentioned but I always have stopped the machine before shifting "gears". The CRT, counter rotating tine "gear" selection is the only one I have found useful, the FRT, forward rotating tines, they rotate the same direction as the drive tires, is of little use unless you're in very loose soil were you can push it down to slow it. The transmission is not weather proof so don't let it get rained on or wash it with a garden hose. Blow it off with air hose or wipe it down. Improvements I'd make. Taller tires to give more clearance, a handle bar mounted throttle and choke, another gear a little faster for the drive tires in the CRT gear. Replace the rear "tine shield" that drags along with one made from some rubber belting material. Maybe even some attachments: Like one that would attach to the rear of the tiller and move soil over to the row. Maybe even a attachment that would lay off a row as you cultivated. We'll call the new unit a RT 65 "Soggy Bottom Special". LOL

/ Draw back of only using a CRT tiller
Yeah I'm still happy with the RT 65. As a matter of fact I got it out a week ago and did a little work with it. Which means it was setting in the same spot in the machinery barn as it was last November when I finished with it. I fully choked it, half throttle, 6 pulls and it started and we headed to the garden. Yes I checked the oil. I don't recommend the RT 65 for hard ground and it won't work sod ground with any satisfaction. I didn't purchase my RT with the intent of breaking new ground, I have plows and disk for that. I use it to prepare seedbeds and to cultivate tall crops the a tractor and cultivators can't get over. I have not had transmission trouble that others have mentioned but I always have stopped the machine before shifting "gears". The CRT, counter rotating tine "gear" selection is the only one I have found useful, the FRT, forward rotating tines, they rotate the same direction as the drive tires, is of little use unless you're in very loose soil were you can push it down to slow it. The transmission is not weather proof so don't let it get rained on or wash it with a garden hose. Blow it off with air hose or wipe it down. Improvements I'd make. Taller tires to give more clearance, a handle bar mounted throttle and choke, another gear a little faster for the drive tires in the CRT gear. Replace the rear "tine shield" that drags along with one made from some rubber belting material. Maybe even some attachments: Like one that would attach to the rear of the tiller and move soil over to the row. Maybe even a attachment that would lay off a row as you cultivated. We'll call the new unit a RT 65 "Soggy Bottom Special". LOL

thanks for the reply