Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60?

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #11  
I ask again:
Does it smoke? Specifically black smoke.
Does it have compression?
Does it use oil?
I used my tiller with the worn out engine, needing rings, valves, valve guides for 3 seasons. Then I got tired of fighting it and bit the bullet. Put in a 1550 B&S and havent looked back since. The machine will now break up full depth clay at just above idle. Yes, it cost a bit of money, but all together I have not invested as much as something new and still have a stronger engine.........God bless........Dennis

Last edited:
   / Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #12  
I ask again:
Does it smoke? Specifically black smoke.
Does it have compression?
Does it use oil?
I used my tiller with the worn out engine, needing rings, valves, valve guides for 3 seasons. Then I got tired of fighting it and bit the bullet. Put in a 1550 cc B&S and havent looked back since. The machine will now break up full depth clay at just above idle. Yes, it cost a bit of money, but all together I have not invested as much as something new and still have a stronger engine.........God bless........Dennis

That 1550 cc B&S must be pretty heavy on that tiller. I'm betting it has plenty of power too. My MGA only has a 1500 cc engine.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #13  
That 1550 cc B&S must be pretty heavy on that tiller. I'm betting it has plenty of power too. My MGA only has a 1500 cc engine.

Thanks TC for keeping this old guy's memory straight. lolol....that is what I get for writing early in the morning before the coffee kicked in. Just went and looked instead of going from memory. 15.50 pounds of torque and 305 cc. You are totally right...that thing would weigh a ton........Anyway yes, those 305cc's go together to put out a lot of power.............God bless........Dennis

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60?
Very little smoke, every now and then you will get a puff of smoke when it wants to stall when tilling , other then that no smoke. Compression seems normal. If it uses oil it's so little it's not noticeable, then again I have only ran it about one hour total. Honestly the 212 cc from harbor freight seems appealing from a price stand point.

Just watched a predator promo video on youtube. Has anyone if its even possible installed the predator 346cc or 420cc? Just a thought. not sure if it would bolt up. Just wondering if anyone has thought it through or tried that swap.

Nevermind, 346cc and 420cc have 1.000 output shaft not .7500.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #17  
Very little smoke, every now and then you will get a puff of smoke when it wants to stall when tilling , other then that no smoke. Compression seems normal. If it uses oil it's so little it's not noticeable, then again I have only ran it about one hour total. Honestly the 212 cc from harbor freight seems appealing from a price stand point.

At the risk of belaboring the point, the engine sounds like it is fine; I believe a carb. adjustment will fix your problem. Last transmission on this subject.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #18  
cheeto, just a heads up. You may have already experienced this (hopefully not), but take care not to take too much of a bite with the old Troy Built. The rear tines can grab hard ground causing it to rabbit-hop and drag you down. My dad borrowed my 5 hp Pony not long after I bought it in '78. Even though I warned him about it, it lurched and caught him off gaurd, almost taking his knee cap off when he was pulled down onto one knee. He brought it back, limping and bandaged, and named it "Killer". I straightened out and reattached the sheet metal rear flap, and still use and like the tiller but I have a healthy respect for it and do not let anyone use it but me.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #19  
At the risk of belaboring the point, the engine sounds like it is fine; I believe a carb. adjustment will fix your problem. Last transmission on this subject.

I agree. Give the old girl a chance and set the carb. Do a google youtube search on how to set the Tecumseh carbs. Don't buy Chinese junk without giving the old US iron its due chance.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #20  
cheeto, just a heads up. You may have already experienced this (hopefully not), but take care not to take too much of a bite with the old Troy Built. The rear tines can grab hard ground causing it to rabbit-hop and drag you down. ...

I learned this the hard way, then learned to hold lightly with one hand and let it bounce. Made tilling much much easier!