Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60?

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #1  

cheeto

Tractor
1974 troy-bilt horse hh60
Hi, I've been searching the internet for two weeks trying to solve a problem I am having with my old Troy-bilt horse. I bought this this tiller on cl and paid $200.00 for it. I have become almost obsessed with this old tiller. Its probably a 1974, it has the hh60 engine. I love the idea of being able to take this 39 year old tiller and keep it running. The tiller is in actualy pretty good condition. It has some obvious leaks around the gear box and and axle around both wheels. It has the electric start which fires it up in 2 to 3 attempts every time. My problem is this. The engine seems to run very strong, when I go to start tilling the engine will bog down and some time cut out when I try to till half way down the drag bar on already broken ground. I can see the governor working. I guess my question is, Is this engine simply worn out? The previous owner just had a tune up before I bought it (at least thats what he said). Does this sound like a wore out engine or simple carb adjustment. Thanks in advance.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #2  
I'd take it to a reputable local shop and let them evaluate. Especially if you want to keep it "original"

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #3  
You can spend a bit of time and money on a "tune-up" which I did for 3 seasons after I picked up my old tiller. It got where I was adding oil every time I used it and harder and harder to start. It was just worn out. Can you easily feel top-dead-center as you pull the rope starter? When you take out the plug and try to start it, does it blow your thumb off the plug hole as you turn it over?...yes, you have to hold your thumb on the hole as you do this.....Does it use oil????.......Does it blow smoke?........

The best thing I ever did was put on a new B&S engine and go and go and go........God bless......Dennis

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #4  
HH60 is a cast iron block. Could be rebuilt, if you want to keep it original. Those engines last forever if you keep oil in them and don't over-rev them.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #5  
I bought a Troy-Bilt Junior (1978) a few months ago. Mine also bogged down and quit sometimes in the middle of a row. I suggest you put a carb kit in it and adjust the carb. It's tricky to adjust, but once you get it right it will work well. It worked for me. As eddie48 states, those engines should last indefinitely with a modicum of care.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #6  
HH60 is a cast iron block. Could be rebuilt, if you want to keep it original. Those engines last forever if you keep oil in them and don't over-rev them.

We're not talking about a 65 mustang original nor a pristine 32 Ford coupe. I guess to each his own and I will just back away I think. This is almost laughable. Yes, they can be rebuilt; but at what cost and who will you get to do it? In making the decision on what to do with my engine I asked several small engine mechanics that have been in business, BUSINESS, not just in the back yard, and they all advised that they would NOT touch it. Finding parts for the engine, hourly shop rates, and just tearing in and replacing worn parts does not make a dependable/last forever engine.
So, yes, I researched out about re-building my engine. Yes, I have experience at overhauling and keeping my fleet of small engines working and am not afraid of doing the work. lol......again, to each his own.........Golly sakes.......a "collector" troy built of museum quality..............God bless......Dennis

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60?
I'm not looking to build a museum piece, just looking to keep it original and doing what it is designed to do. I found on troy bilts website the troubleshooting manual for my horse. For a tiller that runs well but stalls when tilling it says to check in this order. #1 possible worn worm gear, #2 Tilling depth set to deep, #3 check governor linkage for free movement, #4 check throttle setting and carb settings. I checked the carb and made a slight adjustment to the screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl, very slight improvement. I'm not tilling too deep maybe 2 or 3 clicks on the drag bar on previously broken ground. I looked at the governor linkage, it seems to move freely and I can see it moving as I till. That leaves the worm gear which I believe cost some money and time. Correct me if I'm wrong but the governor should only limit engine rpm. Right? It won't actually increase engine rpm when the engine is laboring? I guess I'm wondering if the governor is to blame?

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #8  
My Troybilt 6 HP Tecumseh from the 80s bogs down in high gear when I engage the tines with them in the ground and set deep. I bought mine used with minimal hours on it so it is not worn out by any means. I lift the tines, engage them and drop them in the ground after in motion. I think the 6 HP was just a little under powered. I really like the old girl and would not trade it for anything.

/ Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60?
The thing that has me scratching my head is the fact that this old troy bilt horse runs very well until I start to till. Then its alot of very shallow passes never getting halfway down the drag bar without me having to lift the tines out of the dirt. The earthquake brand that I rented at the beginning of the year tilled three times as well. My buddies cub cadet from Tsc is a dream machine compared to either one. This Tiller has a pretty large following among gardeners and I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that I have a pretty darn good running machine that wants to quit when it hits dirt.

Last edited:
   / Old troy bilt horse, Should I replace the old hh60? #10  
Carb. adjustment. Warm the thing up thoroughly, then set the throttle to mid position. Use the governor linkage to increase engine speed, adjust air control on main jet (screw on bottom of carb) until engine does not stumble and revs freely. This should do it.