What kind of tiller is this?

/ What kind of tiller is this? #1  

stanz

Tractor
Bolens 853, Snapper LT12
First, I apologize if you have seen this post before, this is the second forum I've placed my query.:rolleyes:

I picked up a tiller project today, at my local recycling center. I have no idea what brand it is, I can't find any nameplate or markings. Even the engine is unmarked, except for the Carter carb.

The one weird thing is the belt drive is in the front, most tillers I've seen have it behind the engine.

I have attached a few photos to help, any ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• carter carb.jpg
    carter carb.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 345
  • engine plate.jpg
    engine plate.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 245
  • tines.jpg
    tines.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 342
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 297
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 241
  • belt drive.jpg
    belt drive.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 360
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 257
   / What kind of tiller is this? #2  
Old Troy bilt would be my first guess.

/ What kind of tiller is this?
All the Troy Built tillers I've seen have the belts behind the engine. This one has them in front with a cast cover.

I got a picture of the engine decal, it's barely visible but definitely a Clinton 4 stroke.

Attachments

• Engine decal.jpg
    Engine decal.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 273
It's a Roto-ette model 2 by Rototiller Company of Troy, NY. A precursor of Troy Bilt. It was built 11/1952, I found the ID information behind the attachment plate. I found a Troy Bilt forum on yahoo so I'm posting more over there.

/ What kind of tiller is this? #6  
It's a Roto-ette model 2 by Rototiller Company of Troy, NY. A precursor of Troy Bilt. It was built 11/1952, I found the ID information behind the attachment plate. I found a Troy Bilt forum on yahoo so I'm posting more over there.
That thing is older than me! Is is running?

That thing is older than me! Is is running?

Yeah, it's a bit older than me as well. I'm waiting for a governor spring before I attempt to fire it up.

/ What kind of tiller is this? #8  
status? whatever happened with that 1952 Clinton engine?

It's about where it was back then. My priorities changed a bit, my brother-in-law had a Bolens with a tiller that was partially torn apart. All I had to do was assemble the tractor, get the engine running, and find parts to attach the tiller. I got her running and tilled three gardens with it.

The Rotto-Ette will have to wait until spring.

/ What kind of tiller is this? #10  
My Father sold those Rototillers in the 50's. They came by railroad freight in wooden crates & were assembled by us for the customer. I recently aquired a complete unit, with the original clinton engine, that was sold by my dad. I plan to restore it.

Skip