new horse owner... need some advice.

/ new horse owner... need some advice. #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
I have long been searching for a Troy-Bilt Horse, but they usually bring good money around here. I was at an auction this weekend and found one with a blown motor and picked it up for $170. It is the newer model with 2 belt speeds. The rest of the machine seems to be in good shape, it's not real beat up and the gears seem tight. I pulled the engine apart and found the connecting rod completely shattered. The piston is cracked at the wrist pin. There are some dents around the inside of the crankcase, but I don't think there are any cracks. Everything else looks good. I think I can get what I need to get it going again for around $200. Also, the aluminum from the connecting rod seems melted to the crank journal. I have read that muratic acid will remove this. A new crank would be another $150, but I found one on ebay that was supposedly taken from a new motor that will be around $60 with shipping.

The motor that is on it was a Briggs "Intek" 1350. I know it isn't the original motor, so I am a little concerned that this thing has been through 2 motors though I know these Briggs engines are not the highest quality. Maybe they weren't designed for the angle that a tiller puts them at, or maybe the owner ran it out of oil. There did not seem to be enough oil in it. They don't rate this motor in hp, but my best guess is it's around 9-10hp. So my options are as follows...

1. Repair current engine, take the chance that there is no unseen damage. If I need to replace crank with new, this option is no longer an option.

2. Replace engine with same one (would let me have some spare parts) for $400+ shipping.

3. Replace engine with 6.5 hp honda gx200 for $330+ shipping

4. Replace engine with 8 hp honda gx240 for $560+ shipping (most appealing, but most expensive)

5. Replace engine with 10 hp Kohler command for $450+ shipping

6. Replace engine with briggs intek 1150 (I'm guessing 8hp) for $250+ shipping

My question I guess really depends on power. The current 1350 that's on there is probably overkill. I know they original came with anywhere from 6hp to 8hp engines from various manufacturers. I have only previously used an Ariens rt7020 (similar to a rocket) with 7hp and it seemed a little underpowered but got the job done. Is 10hp too much power that I may damage the tiller? is 6.5hp really enough? I don't see this getting more that about 10 hrs a year, so I guess a lower quality engine will would probably be adequate, but I really do like the Honda gx engines. The Kohler command engines also seem to be pretty decent. Is there a particular engine that will tolerate the high angles for a tiller better than others?

None that I see have pressure lubrication, and Kohler was the only one that has a rating. They say 20 degrees max. I put the tines on the floor and the wheels on 4x4 blocks to try to duplicate tilling, and it is about 26 degrees.

I appreciate any input you guys may have.

/ new horse owner... need some advice. #2  
I have long been searching for a Troy-Bilt Horse, but they usually bring good money around here. I was at an auction this weekend and found one with a blown motor and picked it up for $170. It is the newer model with 2 belt speeds. The rest of the machine seems to be in good shape, it's not real beat up and the gears seem tight. I pulled the engine apart and found the connecting rod completely shattered. The piston is cracked at the wrist pin. There are some dents around the inside of the crankcase, but I don't think there are any cracks. Everything else looks good. I think I can get what I need to get it going again for around $200. Also, the aluminum from the connecting rod seems melted to the crank journal. I have read that muratic acid will remove this. A new crank would be another $150, but I found one on ebay that was supposedly taken from a new motor that will be around $60 with shipping.

The motor that is on it was a Briggs "Intek" 1350. I know it isn't the original motor, so I am a little concerned that this thing has been through 2 motors though I know these Briggs engines are not the highest quality. Maybe they weren't designed for the angle that a tiller puts them at, or maybe the owner ran it out of oil. There did not seem to be enough oil in it. They don't rate this motor in hp, but my best guess is it's around 9-10hp. So my options are as follows...

1. Repair current engine, take the chance that there is no unseen damage. If I need to replace crank with new, this option is no longer an option.

2. Replace engine with same one (would let me have some spare parts) for $400+ shipping.

3. Replace engine with 6.5 hp honda gx200 for $330+ shipping

4. Replace engine with 8 hp honda gx240 for $560+ shipping (most appealing, but most expensive)

5. Replace engine with 10 hp Kohler command for $450+ shipping

6. Replace engine with briggs intek 1150 (I'm guessing 8hp) for $250+ shipping

My question I guess really depends on power. The current 1350 that's on there is probably overkill. I know they original came with anywhere from 6hp to 8hp engines from various manufacturers. I have only previously used an Ariens rt7020 (similar to a rocket) with 7hp and it seemed a little underpowered but got the job done. Is 10hp too much power that I may damage the tiller? is 6.5hp really enough? I don't see this getting more that about 10 hrs a year, so I guess a lower quality engine will would probably be adequate, but I really do like the Honda gx engines. The Kohler command engines also seem to be pretty decent. Is there a particular engine that will tolerate the high angles for a tiller better than others?

None that I see have pressure lubrication, and Kohler was the only one that has a rating. They say 20 degrees max. I put the tines on the floor and the wheels on 4x4 blocks to try to duplicate tilling, and it is about 26 degrees.

I appreciate any input you guys may have.

Yes, the 1350 is waaay overkill for this. I just replaced the HH60 Tecumseh in my horse with an 1150 Intek, because i kept stalling it from tilling too hard. Now it doesnt even strain, and will just try to roast the belt instead. An ohv engine puts way more torque out than their similar sized l-head engines, so even those 6.5 honda clones have been popular for repowering, and then you're inly out $100 at harbor freight

-Dustin

/ new horse owner... need some advice.
Yes, the 1350 is waaay overkill for this. I just replaced the HH60 Tecumseh in my horse with an 1150 Intek, because i kept stalling it from tilling too hard. Now it doesnt even strain, and will just try to roast the belt instead. An ohv engine puts way more torque out than their similar sized l-head engines, so even those 6.5 honda clones have been popular for repowering, and then you're inly out $100 at harbor freight

-Dustin

Well thanks for the reassurance, as I ordered the 1150 intek a few days ago. Got it very quick. Ordered it Sunday night... came Tuesday. Hopefully I will get time next week to get it mounted.