Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC?

/ Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC? #1  

DCRanger

Tractor
John Deere 1025R
Shopping around for my first rototiller and after reading all the good things about the older Troy Bilt Horse, it got me looking at CL. Found a couple older Horse's local for about $550 troy built horse 6hp briggs, then found this one, asking $750 Troy-Bilt Roto Tiller, PTO Horse Model

Question: are those good prices for the older Horse, especially considering there would be no warranty. I'm really not looking for a "project" but just want something to last for quite a while. Anything in particular I should look at when evaluating an older Horse? Finally, would I be better off with a new Husqvarna or CC or even a new TB for $700 range?

BTW, I'll be using it for a small 30x30 ft garden and a couple of small food plots. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC? #2  
I don't think those are good prices at all. I bought mine for $100 and it had some engine problems. It ran but governor didnt work right. I bought a used B&S motor for $100 and it bolted right on.
I passed one up at a yard sale for $250. I was going to buy it for my son but decided we could just share mine.

/ Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC?
I don't think those are good prices at all. I bought mine for $100 and it had some engine problems. It ran but governor didnt work right. I bought a used B&S motor for $100 and it bolted right on.
I passed one up at a yard sale for $250. I was going to buy it for my son but decided we could just share mine.

Thanks RoMad

/ Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC? #4  
Actually, a lot of the troy bilt horses sell quite high in many areas of the country. The one looks like it has a new engine...worth a consideration. You can't hardly wear them out and parts (if you do have a worn part or two) are available. I wouldn't give as much for a pony or jr...but having one myself, It gets the job done and offers some versatility. I have a plow with mine.

Actually, a lot of the troy bilt horses sell quite high in many areas of the country. The one looks like it has a new engine...worth a consideration. You can't hardly wear them out and parts (if you do have a worn part or two) are available. I wouldn't give as much for a pony or jr...but having one myself, It gets the job done and offers some versatility. I have a plow with mine.

Mark - That's re-assuring. The one looks pretty nice and if it's clean and not too many problems, maybe it's worth a look. Thanks!

/ Older Troy Built Horse vs. New Husqvarna or CC? #6  
I have an older Horse and loaned it to a friend. He loved it so much he bought one and if memory serves he paid around $500-600 for it. I'd say that's the going rate, at least in MI. If you ever get down my way, you're welcome to stop by and try mine out. Heck, I'll let you try it out for a few hours this spring in my garden!! :D

We're in Ortonville.

If you ever get down my way, you're welcome to stop by and try mine out. Heck, I'll let you try it out for a few hours this spring in my garden!! :D

We're in Ortonville.
That's a good one:D. Appreciate the info.