TroyBilt Junior Carb Issues

/ TroyBilt Junior Carb Issues #1  

vabiker23518

Gold Member
Tractor
TM233
I have a (I think) 1990 Troybilt Junior that belonged to my Father and I've had it 20 years. I've rebuilt the carb about 4 times over the last 10 years; as it was getting long in the tooth, I replaced it last fall and test ran it. Ran well. Drained and winterized it. This spring, it started right up, but when placed in gear it dies.
(I should add that I didn't put it in gear last fall when I replaced the carb). I believe its either running too lean, or I've messed up the governor connection to the carb. Any ideas?

/ TroyBilt Junior Carb Issues #2  
What make engine?

I have had no luck with Tecumseh carbs since alcohol was added to pump gas. Doesn't matter if left full or run dry. Each year it needed at least a disassembly and cleaning. I have a B&S about 15+ years old that has never been apart.

Bruce

/ TroyBilt Junior Carb Issues #3  
The most common and easiest to fix (IMO) problem is that the high speed jet needs to be turned out about a quarter turn. If the engine isn't getting enough fuel, it will die under a load.

/ TroyBilt Junior Carb Issues
My apologies for not getting back sooner. I let it sit for several months until the "boss" had some tilling she wanted done. I took the "new carb" off and tried the old...didn't work. For some reason, I used the old carb with the "new" high speed jet and bowl...and it worked! Still seems slightly starved for gas (I use a little choke) but it got the job done. Made sure to completely drain the tank and ran it empty so hopefully will not have an issue next time. Thanks for your comments!