Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems

/ Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems #1  

GigaWatt

Tractor
Ford 1210
I have an old TB Horse with 8HP B&S that belonged to an uncle. The tiller did not run when I picked up. My son replaced the battery, spark plug, pull starter rope, fuel filter, cleaned carb and installed a Magnatron ignition. After all that work it ran great however the drive belt was slipping badly. When looking up parts the 1st info needed was the model number. The tiller has a tag with the S/N 557809 but I can't find a model number. I found that all of the Horse models use the same drive belt so we ordered the TB GW-9245 and installed it. It still slips a little and now also jumps out of gear. I've found numerous post about this problem.

It appears the engine pulley and trans pulley are out of line. The engine pulley has a bolt in the engine shaft retaining the pulley. I can't find what holds the trans pulley in place. It appears the engine would need to be removed and spacers installed to align the pulleys or move the trans pulley into alignment. Which is the proper method? The engine & trans both have a 2 groove pulley. Since the pulleys are different sizes I take it for granted this is to move the belt and give 2 speeds. Is this correct?

There is a spring hanging on the crossbar between the handles. Can anyone tell me what this is used for?

I would like to order more parts and a manual but need a model number. Do any members have a TB Horse with close S/N that could give me a model number? I call the TB Service number which took me to MTD. Talked with 3 people and they could not help me with the model number, saying it was to old for their records.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Left Side 2.jpg
    Left Side 2.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 1,808
  • Pulleys.jpg
    Pulleys.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 1,359
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 604
  • Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 2,719
   / Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems
UPDATE:
After following some instructions found on the forum, I've eliminated the belt slipping and jumping out of gear. Found an old manual online which indicates the tiller was built around 1976.

Still have the problem of the pulleys being out of alignment which is going to wear the belt prematurely.
Still haven't found what the spring on the handle is for, may just be something my uncle put there.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems #3  
The pulley on the transmission should slide on its shaft about 3/8 to 1/2 inch forward and backward. Is it rusted to the shaft? Should be pretty much self aligning.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems #4  
When you shift into reverse you have to hold in in gear. He probably put the spring there to hold in reverse.

The pulley on the transmission should slide on its shaft about 3/8 to 1/2 inch forward and backward. Is it rusted to the shaft? Should be pretty much self aligning.

The tiller has set inside a garage for at least 5 years without running. Sounds like I need to start spraying WD40 rust spray on the shaft.

Thanks

/ Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems #6  
When you shift into reverse you have to hold in in gear. He probably put the spring there to hold in reverse.

Absolutely correct TJ. Not a good idea to use it, though. What happens if you trip and fall with those tines spinning toward you??

I never thought about him using the spring for reverse. I would NEVER do that! I've already taken the spring off.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse Manual & Drive Problems #8  
Mine's about the same age. Had to put a new engine on it a couple of years ago but it stills works great. At some point in time, my dad or grandfather welded a piece of rebar to the shifter handle to strengthen it. Yea, locked in reverse is not a good thing.
Be sure to check the transmission fluid level. Mine blew the seals at the tines. When I topped it off, fluid just came pouring out.