Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse?

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #11  
Older Horses have a 7HP Koehler on them and that is noticeably more power than the older 6HP Tecumseh. My older 7HP has plenty of power for serious work.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #12  
1 forward gear isn't enough. I'm surprised troy-bilt would do that. The horse we have has 4F, and 4R. We use all of them.

No kidding eh!

I think these were meant to be commercial or rental units and were built for simplicity of use - renters would probably bust the shifter in no time.
That is also why they used the Honda engine (for longevity).

Like I said, it's a great tiller for normal garden soil and I have no trouble tilling deeper with the tractor :drink:

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #13  
If you can swing the extra $150 I would get the 8hp. Depending on ground conditions that could make the work a bit easier if nothing else.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse?
Thanks for the input everyone -- it's helpful!

Have another question, about tine rotation, will start a new post for that.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse?
Actually, I'll ask it here... I was under impression all or most older Troybilt tillers had counter rotating tines.

But the gentleman with the 8HP Kohler tells me his is forward rotating, except when going in reverse (so, tines match wheel rotation).

This is an older 4 speed PTO horse model... any chance it is somehow able to have tines set to counter rotate?

I understand the relative merits of CRT vs FRT (counter rotating vs forward rotating) tine rotation is a somewhat controversial point, but I'd really like the ability to do either. Having used an FRT tiller, I believe the CRT might dig deeper, and better for initial garden plots/expansion, and the FRT perhaps better for cultivating, once the soil is already somewhat loosened.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #16  
Our Horse only forwardly rotates. I think if you reversed rotation of the tines you'd need a lot more traction than they have stock. I think you'd basically end up digging one hole where the tines are and one for each wheel. Ours digs pretty good, you sometimes end up holding it back a little, which seems to give the back end a little down force and thus deeper tillage.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #17  
I have a a 70's vintage 8 HP horse - rebuilt twice on the engine. All I can say is weight and HP are your friend,
Tines rotate forward. Never heard of a counter rotating tine troy built. BCS maybe

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #18  
I have an '82 Troybilt Horse (8 hp) with counter rotating tines. Does a great job tearing up new ground.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #19  
I'd rent. Had a Gravely rotary plow. Used it once. Had a JD soil ripper. Used it once. Only need them once to turn grass/weeds over. After that, no till is better for the soil.

Ralph