Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse?

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #1  

Almonzo

Tractor
John Deere 2640, Ford 4000 (1973)
Looking for advice/comparisons of older 6HP vs 8HP Horse tillers -- does the extra 2HP make a big difference with larger gardens (may do 2500 sqft this year) and/or rocky or clay soil?

Other factors:
6HP is a Tecumseh, comes with hiller
8HP is a Kohler, w/electric start; (and would be $150 more than the 6HP)

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #2  
Looking for advice/comparisons of older 6HP vs 8HP Horse tillers -- does the extra 2HP make a big difference with larger gardens (may do 2500 sqft this year) and/or rocky or clay soil?

Other factors:

Doing that much area I would opt for the 8hp. The added weight and hp will make the job easier with less stress on the tiller.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #3  
BTW. Welcome to the forum.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #4  
I never complain of having too much power .

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse?
OK, thanks, guys.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #6  
The tiller width has to match your intended bed width. A very common width is 30". But then, on a 6 or 8hp tiller, your tine width will be considerably less. More like 20/21".
winter is the right time for planing your spring garden!:)

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #7  
:welcome:
To the Forum from Northwest Alabama.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #8  

Other factors:

Our Horse has a Tecumseh. If I could add 2hp, electric start and the name Kohler for $150, I sure would.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #9  
I have a Troybilt Proline with a 6 hp Honda engine which is a great little tiller, but I wish it had couple of slower gears instead of the fixed one speed transmission (little too fast speed).
However, it's an excellent tiller for not so deep tilling of normal garden soil.

The one speed is a problem when trying to till deeper in little harder soil - the tiller wants to go way too fast and I end up having to hold it back, which is no fun :thumbdown:

For this reason I often end up using my tractor and 48" tiller instead.

I would look for Troybilt with few gears so it can go slow when needed.

/ Troybilt Tiller: Which to buy - 6HP vs 8HP Horse? #10  
I have a Troybilt Proline with a 6 hp Honda engine which is a great little tiller, but I wish it had couple of slower gears instead of the fixed one speed transmission (little too fast speed).
However, it's an excellent tiller for not so deep tilling of normal garden soil.

The one speed is a problem when trying to till deeper in little harder soil - the tiller wants to go way too fast and I end up having to hold it back, which is no fun :thumbdown:

For this reason I often end up using my tractor and 48" tiller instead.

I would look for Troybilt with few gears so it can go slow when needed.

1 forward gear isn't enough. I'm surprised troy-bilt would do that. The horse we have has 4F, and 4R. We use all of them.