Troybilt tiller

/ Troybilt tiller #1  

msubobcats

Tractor
Just need advice on troybilt
I am looking at two tillers, both on craigslist. One is a Troybilt Jr and the other is a Troybilt Tuffy. The Jr, he is asking $250 and the Tuffy , he is asking $350. If they are in decent shape, I have not seen either, are those prices ok. All I can tell by the pictures is they have the look of be used, dents, paint chipped.....
I am looking at the rear tine to use for weed control and the area is not large, maybe 1/4 acre. It is somewhat rocky in spots, the reason I want rear tine, as I am guessing it would not beat me up as bad as the OLD front tine I had.
I have never used a rear tine before.....
Thank you

/ Troybilt tiller #2  
I like the rear tine tillers. I have a Troy bilt horse, it has a 22 inch tilling width. I don't know how that compares to the other models.

/ Troybilt tiller #3  
Biggest differences between rear tine and front tine are:

Rear tine are usually self propelled

Rear tine if you push down on the handles they lift the drive wheels and run away.

Not sure on the differences bewteen the two models though.

/ Troybilt tiller #4  
Rear tine tillers are MUCH easier to handle, especially in tough soils... Unfortunately, most newer tillers these days, are aren't even close to being built as well as many of the older tillers.

BEST long life tillers made these days, are made by BCS...

SR

/ Troybilt tiller #5  
I would say neither. Look for a rear tine 8HP horse model. Much heavier unit and a dream to work with.

/ Troybilt tiller #6  
Sawyer Rob you are so right! Troybuilt with rear tines are very smooth, they used to be amongst the best, but the new ownership has affected the quality. BCS now has taken the lead and wouldn't consider anything else if affordable.

/ Troybilt tiller #7  
agree, find a older horse, they have real weight to them and last forever. plus parts are easy to get.