Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #1  

DJP

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra,4500
HI: I have an older troy bilt tiller, it has a 8 hp brigg. & strag. engine, has two handles one(fast/slow) another (forward/reverse). it has pull and push bottom starter, and battery. All the model names are rubbed off the body. This is what I have found>>on the rototiller red body frame side, grated in the medal (A large B, below that T1-1003) (serial number 71206). I am looking for a model type to buy parts for this tiller. Is the drive belt the same for most older models, I have two pullets, that only had one belt(is this belt called the drive belt) the belt is on the pullet close to the motor. I just used this tiller two weeks ago with no problem, now it will not go forward, and the disk blades will not turn, it will start to move forward and the blades turn, but when It touch the ground it stops and will not move. the belt around the pullet is loose, but it will go in reverse with good speed and power, and the blades turn good also in reverse. Could my belt be bad, it is not broke, could it be old and gotten too long. I did notice while in forward with belt on the pullets, not very tight, that the front pullet(the wheel with the black rubber over it, and also has a bolt that hold the two pullets was turning while running, but not the pullet with the belt on was not turning, took the belt off and both turn. Do I need to just change the belt, or is there a problem with a inside part that is not turning the pulley with a belt on it. What is the type of belt I need, or part #.

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #2  
If your "Forward-Reverse" lever has a little wheel that rests on the bottom of an adjustable metal block in "Forward" position, that block needs to be moved to tighten the belt.

Move the block up or down until the wheel is in about the center of the block bottom (at the arrow) in "Forward."

TillerAdjust.jpg

Bruce

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #3  
Bruce is correct. Follow his advice
Nothing wrong with your belt other than maybe stretched a bit and as a result is slipping. Just need to be tightened up.
The reason it runs fine in reverse is because it is a direct drive using the rubber sheave. Does not use the belt in reverse.

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model
If your "Forward-Reverse" lever has a little wheel that rests on the bottom of an adjustable metal block in "Forward" position, that block needs to be moved to tighten the belt.

Move the block up or down until the wheel is in about the center of the block bottom (at the arrow) in "Forward."

View attachment 424874

Bruce

Thanks for your quick reply: If we are speaking of the same location. I have tried to adjust the piece you have pictured, it has a 9/16 bolt behind it, I loosen the bolt and slid this bar(I/2 inch wide, 3-4 inch long) down, it made no different in the tighten of my belt. When I push the forward/reverse level all the way down, the belt tighten did not change. All I recall is a bolt that allow you to slide up/down this 1/2 by 3-4 inch bar, that I read on the internet that is used to tighten the tiller belt. It is the same as you copied in your picture. I do not recall a wheel that rest on the bottom of the adjustable block. Does this wheel also show in the pictured you captured? Does the information I gave tell you what model tiller I have, because I cannot locate this tiller in none of the troy bilt tiller by the T1 1003 on web sites I viewed so far?

Looking at your picture again, below the arrow, there is a handle/level gauge, your picture show the gauge in the front position (close to the engine) my gauge is in the back position (close to the back of the tiller, what do this gauge do and what position should it be in?

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #6  
Here's the general idea. You adjust the block by loosening the bolt and sliding the block up or down which will tightens the belt.
You'll know which way to go after you see what happens when you move the lever to make the tiller go forward.

Attachments

• TroyBuiltHorse6HP 0011.JPG
    TroyBuiltHorse6HP 0011.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,841
   / Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #7  
The lever on the side engages and disengages the times.

TillerTines.jpg

This is how the belt adjustment block should look.

TillerNeutral.jpg TillerForward.jpg

Bruce

Ok thanks I will look at it again, as I stated earlier I had loosen this bolt and lowered the adjustment bar all the way down, maybe this is what I did wrong. Your picture shows that the clutch roller needs to go under the adjustment bar, I may have it too far down, and it cannot go under the adjustment bar, which maybe preventing the belt from thigh up. But you do not think my belt has extended to long and now cannot be tighten on the pulleys no matter what you do to the adjustment bar. Again the information I gave in my first reply, do any of that tell you what type of troy build tiller I have. (T1 1003,,,s/N 71206???

/ Need help identifying my troy bilt tiller model #9  
The roller does need to go under the adjustment bar. This lets the lever lift the engine higher to tighten the belt, and keeps the lever down when you let go.

If you can post some photos, someone can probably tell you what model you have. A casting number and serial is often not enough.

They had several brands and sizes of engine on the same tiller mechanism. And some were pull start and some electric. After the engine there is not much difference.

Bruce