Which Tiller?

/ Which Tiller? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I am looking at getting a tiller. Parameters are work around home, maybe in the 2000sqft range, and light use at customers for our Mom & Pop landscape business.

So far, we have looked at the Troybilt "Horse". Am also looking at the BCS 722ES, with similar 8hp and tiller size. I found out today about a Honda FRC800 of similar size and capability.

Are there any other heavy residential or light commercial tillers I should look at?

/ Which Tiller? #3  
I've had two troybilt tillers. They are ok.. mine were the big ones... I sold them both for a 3pt one on my tractor and a very small one for just keeping the flower area clean and around the garden. If I were to get another one in the size range of a troybilt I would get one where the tiller turn oposite of the wheel direction. The troybilt didn't do that.

/ Which Tiller? #4  
Don't know what features the BCS has that you were looking, but I have a BCS 735, it has a differential that makes the machine really easy to manuver at the end when you turn, it also has a lever that locks the differential to make both wheels pull. The tine speed on the BCS is faster than the troybilt.
Before I got the BCS, I had a Troybilt Horse for two summers, and the BCS is more stable on rough ground, has 5 forward speeds and two reverse speeds. In neuteral, the tines spin free, just try to unwind trash from the tines of a Troybilt. After using the BCS, the Troybilt was slow and cumbersome. I do know they are tough machines, but just not as user friendly.

/ Which Tiller? #5  
Before I had the Troybilt, I found what I thought was a bargain on a counter rotating tiller you mention. It really works good on the first pass in untilled soil. That's all that I found it good at. In loose soil, the wheels wouldn't pull the tiller forward, they'd just spin in the loose dirt, and the only way to get it to move was to hold up on the handles, which pulled the tines out of the ground. I sold it for what I paid for it and was relieved to be rid of it.

/ Which Tiller? #6  
I would agree with your statement. However, there are a few units out there that allow you to operate the tiller tine in both directions. This makes it acceptable for breaking up ground and standard tilling. Maybe, I should of suggested that type of unit and not been so specific to the conter rotating event. The two Horse units I had were nice, electric start with all the attachments.

/ Which Tiller? #7  
I've seen those and they work fine for smaller gardens, the ones I've seen are made pretty light, even the Toro that operates both ways doesn't look too substantial for large garden and work for others. There may be some that are made like the Troybilt or BCS, but I haven't seen any of those.
Playin in the dirt is the fun part, whatever you get, have fun.

/ Which Tiller? #8  
Have you checked the ones at Sears? I saw an ad for them for an upcoming sale this thurs through sat.

/ Which Tiller? #9  
I've had my Troy-Bilt horse for over 20 years. The first 5 years I was doing as many as 5 gardens a day in the spring to earn some extra money. It has been a great machine and I would highly recommend one. Mine was manual start with a cast iron 7 HP Kohler engine. Get the wrap around bumper to protect it from bumping into fences and gate posts. Mine is in semi-retirement now, but still starts on the second pull. I can't speak about the BCS or others as I have no experience with them, but it would take one almighty heck of a machine to convince me not to get another Troy-Bilt, even though they are now an MTD product.

/ Which Tiller? #10  
Robert, I have an old front tine MERRY TILLER that also converts to a sickle mower for sale! I am listing it on ebay tonight (9pm your time) It will shake the crap right out of you! and dig to china while doing so! I just got a tiller for my tractor, so its got to go. I don't use the sickle mower as I have a rotory mower, but it works fine. I'll post a photo for you!

Attachments

• 384852-mower.jpg
    384852-mower.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 720