1979 TroyBilt Horse Tiller (Non-PTO) - Carburetor Adjustment - Need Help

/ 1979 TroyBilt Horse Tiller (Non-PTO) - Carburetor Adjustment - Need Help #1  

codefinger

Tractor
TroyBilt
This tiller has the 7HP Kohler engine. Last time I ran it, I got the tell tale fuel leaking out of the air filter. Stuck needle valve. Time for a good cleaning / overhaul...

I've thoroughly cleaned the carburetor (overnight in Chem-Dip worked wonders), replaced the gaskets, replaced the float needle, seat and gasket, cleaned and blew out the main jet, etc... Don't know if this will help, but the number stamped on the carb is 6230500.

I removed and carefully cleaned the varnish off the idle screw, and the main jet needle. Tip of the main jet needle looks good; no sign of it ever having been warped or screwed down too tight. Just for good measure, I also removed the plug (brand new) and rechecked the gap. Manual says 0.025, and its dead on.

The manual says the main jet should be set to 1 1/2 turns from the closed position, but it doesn't have a baseline setting for the idle screw.

Being an idiot, I didn't make note of how many turns from the closed position the idle screw was before I removed it.

So, I started with the idle screw closed, main jet at 1 1/2 turns, throttle at about 25%, and attempted to pull start at each 1/4 turn increment (with full choke) on the idle screw.

I'm now at the point where I'm at two full turns on the idle screw, and the engine fires up, but it will only run with full choke. ???

Can anyone explain whats going on here and advise?

v/r

Thanks

/ 1979 TroyBilt Horse Tiller (Non-PTO) - Carburetor Adjustment - Need Help #2  
Maybe stuck float?

/ 1979 TroyBilt Horse Tiller (Non-PTO) - Carburetor Adjustment - Need Help #3  
well almost full choke means your not getting enough gas and compensating by running the choke almost full. so you are starving it for gas, either a passage way, clogged jet. might sound dumb but for me, when id just gotten my machine, i thought full choke was on but found out it was full open. id go though the carb again.