Wizard by Gilson Rotiller

/ Wizard by Gilson Rotiller #1  

WillysWoodPile

Bronze Member
Tractor
Only garden tractors and tillers at this time. But our family farm(s) have lots of John Deere tractors.
I have a Wizard rototiller model no. GlS 6685 AO7 that I traded my John Deere 345 lawnmower for [and some cash--to me that is] that was about to give up the ghost, to a mom & pop small engine shop. My main question is about the reverse belt. Is it supposed to be twisted? And can someone please decipher the model no. and serial no. and tell me when this was made? My searches on the internet have come up almost empty. Near as I can figure it is about early 70's to mid-70's. As you can see the guy took a 6hp B&S motor and put it on the Wizard chassis. I read somewhere that Toro bought Gilson so I can get parts because the shop is a Toro dealer. It works very well... far beyond what I thought it would. It really has a good weight to it to tear through mulch and leaves [unlike my Sears 17 inch tiller]. I wanted to get a DR Roto Hog for about $1,700-$2,000 but it is not in the budget at this time. My friend has one and he said it will be the best investment I ever make [on a tiller]. So anyway, my Church gave me the JD 345 and I traded it for the tiller and he gave me some cash too....

So my questions are:

1) What is the belt configuration for the reverse pulleys?
2) Would you decipher the model no. and serial no. for me?
3) The casing that houses/drives the tines gets [almost] too hot to touch after a good workout. Could it be low on lubricant or are the old gears/cogs getting worn and causing friction and need to be replaced? Anybody else experience this?
Model No. GlS 6685A07
Serial No. 88393
Thank you to all for your help and expertise. Pictures below:

DSC01738.jpg
DSC01739.jpg
DSC01740.jpg
DSC01741.jpg
DSC01742.jpg
DSC01743.jpg
DSC01744.jpg
DSC01745.jpg
DSC01746.jpg

/ Wizard by Gilson Rotiller #2  
Ok.I also have the "same tiller' Mine is a Gilson (older than wizzard) I have a manual for it.If you Pm me I'll send it to you. Yes the gearbox runs HOT"""" Just keep it filled with gear oil.parts are all but noexistant.I got new gearbox gears and new tines about 20+ years ago and it was very hard then to find em.It's a hellofa tiller mine is 8Hp and it'll dig till the cows come home. the reverse belt is twisted,or was, mine broke 20 years ago and I have yet to put a new one on.not sure who bought who but I haven't needed parts in years. now if anyone knows where to get parts for a "roto-hoe" tiller/shreader I'm interested

/ Wizard by Gilson Rotiller #3  
Ok.I also have the "same tiller' Mine is a Gilson (older than wizzard) I have a manual for it.If you Pm me I'll send it to you. Yes the gearbox runs HOT"""" Just keep it filled with gear oil.parts are all but noexistant.I got new gearbox gears and new tines about 20+ years ago and it was very hard then to find em.It's a hellofa tiller mine is 8Hp and it'll dig till the cows come home. the reverse belt is twisted,or was, mine broke 20 years ago and I have yet to put a new one on.not sure who bought who but I haven't needed parts in years. now if anyone knows where to get parts for a "roto-hoe" tiller/shreader I'm interested

Sorry for the delay. I had to start a new account. I am having difficulty signing in to the old one.