Best rear tine tiller?

/ Best rear tine tiller? #1  

fluffyone

Bronze Member
Since Troy Built is no longer the same, who makes the best rear tine tiller? or can you no longer get the same quality as in years gone by?

/ Best rear tine tiller? #2  
I doubt that you will find the same quality on tillers/Riders or other lawn and garden equipment as in the past. People want cheap prices for the most part and the manufacturers are going along by cutting down on the steel thickness, using a lot of plastic, etc to make the product cheaper for the consumer and to increase their profit margin. You can probably still find better quality in commercial grade equipment, but it will be VERY pricey.

With all that said. Just pick out a tiller that has the features and HP that you like. The Troy Built ones are ok, I also saw a Husky at TSC that looked pretty good.

Good luck.

/ Best rear tine tiller? #3  
Having just looked at the "Big Red Horse" last week while at my dealer for something else, I'd still say that is one of the best available. But at $2999, it sure is gosh darned expensive (at least at my dealer) The smaller Troy tillers seem to have lost some of the quality I was used to seeing. I'm keeping my 24 year old machine running as I sure can do a lot of repairs before I spend $2999.

/ Best rear tine tiller? #4  
Tho' I have no first hand experience with them, BCS looks better than Troy-Bilt to me.
BCS Tillers

/ Best rear tine tiller? #5  
We have sold both troy and Bcs The Bcs has a faster tine speed ,direct drive ,and you can change attachmentson all models.

Troy has belts that always need replaced and they must use really soft steel on the tine and wheel shafts because the sseals start leaking and the shafts need replaced as well do to grooves from the seal

/ Best rear tine tiller? #6  
We just looked at and bought a tiller. IMHO, the upper lines in Troybilt and BCS are really nice tillers. We bought the BCS 722, which is equivilant of the Troybilt Horse.

Having used older Troybilt Horses, and looking now at the latest model, as well as the BCS line, I don't think they have changed or cheapened. They were solidly built and looked just as solid as the 20 year old Horse I had used.

The entry line of tillers, I could not tell you about. But, the bigger heavier units are nice.

/ Best rear tine tiller? #7  
Try looking at Baretto
Barreto homepage
I just today bought a 1320 model s/h. I haven't had chance to try it in anger yet, but my it is built like a tank. Mine is a 1997 model and was used by a small landscape gardener.
Apparently they were voted European rental machine of the year a few years back. Must be good if the rental men like them.
Be aware though, I think the 1320 model new is circa $4500

/ Best rear tine tiller? #8  
Voodoo, this must be one of the commercial units I mentioned in an earlier post. Nice if you can afford them.

/ Best rear tine tiller? #9  
voodoo,
That's a sweet looking machine, but it is some serious ching $$$. You would have to use it pretty seriously to make that pricetag worthwhile. If you did though, it looks like it would stand up to anything that you could throw at it. Wonder how parts availability is in USA?

/ Best rear tine tiller? #10  
Larry,
They are made in USA so parts availability should not be a problem for you. I e-mailed them to get details of supplier here in UK for the same reason. I got a fairly quick response, unfortunately the web address they gave for the importer is not active. I'm now waiting for a further reply on any further contacts