Troy Built Rototillers

/ Troy Built Rototillers #1  

TMAC

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC45DA w/SuperSteer
Anybody know any good websites that can direct me in finding overhaul kits and parts for what I think is a Late 80's early 90's 8hp Troy Built Rototiller? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Model Number: K181T
Serial Number: 14152335

Is there any place on the block that could possibly give me the year of this model? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

/ Troy Built Rototillers #2  
Greg, the model and serial numbers you listed are for a Kohler 8HP engine. Is this what your tiller has? If you are trying to overhaul the engine parts should be available at any Kohler dealer just give them the numbers you have listed in your post. If you need parts for the tiller itself let me know and I will give you the toll free parts number.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Troy Built Rototillers #3  
Greg - are you reading the number off of the motor or the frame/tranny? That looks like the engine model (K181T - but it might also actually be K161T?).

Troy-Bilt put the actual tiller serial number on the tranny casing (I think by the base of the handles) and on a decal on the tine hood.

K161T was the 7hp Kohler - pull start. That's what I have. A K181T was the 8hp Kohler when that was the electric start model Horse.

If you don't have the original owner's manual and documentation - keep an eye out on eBay. I was able to find owners, service, and parts manuals for a 1980 (mine's a 1978, close enough). Some of the engine manuals can be downloaded from the Kohler web site - some of the small engine mail order houses also carry them.

Good luck - it's a great old machine.

Tim

/ Troy Built Rototillers #4  
Greg, forgot to mention. The serial number you have listed is for a 1984 Kohler engine.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Troy Built Rototillers
Ken, I'm actually doing a favor for my cousin. This isn't my RotoTiller but, today Shane(cousin) and I went and picked it up from my great aunts house. It was my great uncles who passed away 3 years ago and it's been sitting in his shed ever since. There isn't hardly a speck of rust on it besides a little on the tines from normal use and cleaning. Other than that it's in excellent condition. Anyway these are the actual model #'s that are very clear to see off the engine block itself. It is a pull type not electrical start. Yes it is a Kohler engine and far as I know aunt Helen said it was a 8hp as you have confirmed. He just wants to clean the carberator up a little and get the overhaul kit for it, change the spark plug, air filter, oil and all the other normal maintenance procedures but not major engine overhaul. Ken how did you find out it was a 1984? Just curious? Thanks for the info.

Tell ya one thing I hate lifting them friggin tillers. We lifted it from ground level into the bed of his truck and guess who had the heavy end? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Will see in the morning when I wake up if I need to make a doctors appointment or not /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Once we got to his place we backed the tailgate up to the road levy. That saved us a few hernias. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif You might not believe how much she sold it to him for. $400.00. I thought it was a steel then of course she's our aunt and gave him the good old family discount. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim I did notice the serial number by the base of the handles. Can't remember the number though didn't write it down. I'm positive it's model K181T. I'm sure uncle Bob has the manuals thrown some where in the bench drawer in the garage. Thanks for the help and the reply

He tried to call the local Kohler dealer today about 15 times no one would answer. Finally someone picked up the phone and after Shane described what he needed the old man said, "Your just like everyone else just wait to the last minute. I don't have time to look up parts over the phone, we're to busy right now you'll just have to bring them in." /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Man he was really sour about that but, we still laughed at the dealers response. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I understand how busy it is right now this time of year (SPRING!). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So thanks for the help fellers. Any other info you might be able to help me out with or Shane? Sorry for such the long post.

/ Troy Built Rototillers #6  
Hey Greg,

Dad's has one about like what you are talking. He actually had some success at buying parts for it (transmission gears - someone had run it w/o gear oil /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)). I'm sure he paid a premium coming from Lowe's, but he isn't a big fan of Millers there in town. I've actually got it at my house now. I'm hoping to use it tonight to till my garden. I broke the garden up Saturday with my Sub-soiler.

Talk at ya later,

Jim

/ Troy Built Rototillers
Yeah that's who Shane was talking to when he was trying to get part info. He's got it all put back together now. Said he has to run it with about 1/4 choke on. Other than that he tilled his garden up this weekend and said it did great. Thanks for your help fella's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Troy Built Rototillers #8  
Your experience with the dealer is a shame. Contact me if you need parts in the future. As busy as we are right now, email works best. vppinc@rev.net. I've been a Troy Bilt dealer for 31 years and we ship parts all over the country. If you have to run that tiller partially choked, you need to clean the carburetor again. Something is restricting the flow of fuel.