1985 Troy-Built Rototiller

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #1  

Chuck_NY

Would anyone have any idea what a 1985 or 1986 Troy-Built Pony 5HP Rototiller is worth? I am trying to buy one from a guy who says "find out what it's worth and we'll go from there". Machine is in great condition, well taken care of. Runs great. Has a tendency to want to pop out of forward gear (Not very often though).

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #2  
There's a lot of Troy-Bilt stuff for sale on eBay. In my experience more often than not eBay auctions in general tend to go for at least what a 'local' price might be despite the inevitable shipping cost. Make sure you look for 'completed' auctions for actual sale prices and not a 'wishful thinking' price set on a current auction.

If the older Pony's use a setup like the bigger Horse models, that popping out of gear might just be a minor adjustment.

Tim

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #3  
Chuck,
I'm not sure about the 5hp Pony prices, but I just bought a 1988ish 8hp Horse on eBay for $1000, the deal included the tiller, the hiller/furrower, a snow blade, wheel weights, tire-chains, and a wood chipper. Yeah, I got a GREAT deal! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've noticed the new Pony (7hp) models on TroyBilt's web site are priced starting at $999. The smaller framed ones around 6hp are from about $500-$750. You'll have to figure out what is most comparable. I don't think the additional HP in the new ones gets you much, the gearing will allow your 5hp to do all you can ask of the Pony.

I'd say you should probably expect to pay about 40-50% of new if it is in good shape, maybe a little less if not. Has it been stored indoors or outside? Is there much rust? Does it run well?

As to it jumping out of forward, you may just be able to adjust the forward detent stop-block, if that doesn't solve the problem, they are available for purchase from customer service as a replacable wear item. If I had it apart and was in there anyway, I might also replace the belt and the reverse disk (rubber ring on a steel disk) just to save myself the hassle of tearing it apart again for a while.

Good luck with your deal. That old Pony should serve you well for many more years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #4  
I just bought a 95 Horse with a 9 HP Kohler. It has been owned by an older gentleman who did not use it. His son said the belt was broken. We uncovered it, put in some gas, hit the choke and pulled the rope (battery was dead of course) and she fired up. I bought it and took it home, the belt was not broken, the disengage lever was tripped. I took to our loacl small engine repair shop and got a new plug, air filter and changed the oil. I asked him what it was worth and he said he would ask a $1000.00 for it.

I paid $400.00 (the asking price) for it and I am tickled to death. I finally got a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller
Thanks for the input.

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #6  
fluffy,
Congrats on the Horse. At $400 that's a steal! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Mine has the 8hp Kohler with pull-start only, but almost always starts right up on 1st pull - just choke it and pull - then take the choke off as soon as she fires.

Now get out there and till. I've been working mine hard for the past 3 weeks and couple weeks more to go before I have everything in.

/ 1985 Troy-Built Rototiller #7  
I borrowed a tiller from my neighbor shortly after I moved into our new house. When I went to get it I noticed he had 3 tillers in his shed, two Troy built Horse (one electric Kohler, one pull start Tecumse), one small front tine. He seems to have two or three of everything.

To make a long story short, he sold me the manual start Horse for $400. I think I got a great deal./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Troy's you see at Lowes don't seem near the quality of the old ones.

Bud