What did I get??

/ What did I get?? #1  

mjohansson

Tractor
Troy bilt
Hello all, first post here. I just bought a older Troy bilt tiller, I have no idea how old it is or nothing other than it is the Horse model with Electric start. I think is is fairly older, has a cast iron engine, that they took the head off and let some rain get in, but I think that will clean up ok. I have it soaking in some oil and other cleaners now to try and free up the piston. Where do I find out when it was made, and what engine I have? Looks like it has been painted over a few times, paint is good, but no decals are long gone. I paid $100 for it has good tires and I think it would make a "fun" summer project.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks and God bless.

/ What did I get?? #2  
You can sort-of look up serial numbers on line and I believe at the Troy Bilt site. While they all look almost the same, post some pics and I could take a guess when I see engine and setup. A wild guess is the mid 1970's.

/ What did I get?? #3  
Like six dogs says - they sort of all look the same. I have an OLD - 1982 - Troybilt Horse - CI cylinder and as I remember 8 hp I bought it brand new in '82 with electric start - but that became a PITA - so I removed it. Last time I tried, it started right up. Don't use it anymore - don't garden.

/ What did I get?? #4  
I've owned a number of TroyBilts over the years and the best of them all has a Kohler engine. I shut the fuel off and let mine run drive every time---ethanol--and when I turn the fuel on and wait a few seconds, it will start on the first pull almost every time. These are great tillers and I believe someday will be afforded cult status among collectors and gardeners.

/ What did I get??
Hey guys thanks for the info, I found a casting on the right side with the numbers 12-5-77 so 1977? boy I was still in High School then....it has a Tecumseh engin on it don't know how good those are, but I will test the starter and I hope to get the motor unseized as It is soaking in PB blaster now.

/ What did I get?? #6  
Hey guys thanks for the info, I found a casting on the right side with the numbers 12-5-77 so 1977? boy I was still in High School then....it has a Tecumseh engin on it don't know how good those are, but I will test the starter and I hope to get the motor unseized as It is soaking in PB blaster now.

Sounds logical but need some pictures.

/ What did I get??
Well, I took the engine completely apart tonight, I even got the piston out...but found governor parts in the crankcase. and the cam shaft was sheared off! bummer. Other than that all look well, there is even a cross hatch patern still visable in the cylinder! and no ridge! So I hope to be able to acquire a replacement cam and governor and rebuild the carb. That should do it for a while.

/ What did I get?? #8  
Not worth the investment IMO.

The tecumseh motor was a pretty good one. Dads lasted ~30 years+. Just recently gave up the ghost.

Forget trying to rebuild what you have. $120 buys you a harbor freight predator motor. Bolt it on and go.

/ What did I get?? #9  
If you could find a donor motor for parts that would work, but a harbor freight 6.5 hp motor would be the least expensive way to go. I have the same tiller I bought new in 1982, used it every year with the same tecumseh hh60 engine. I replaced the carburetor this spring with one from eBay for $13.00 works great wasn't worth rebuilding the old one. Its been a good motor don't know how long the harbor freight would last and the availability of parts. My 2 cents.

/ What did I get??
From the local repair shops in town I have asked about the Harbor Freight motors and they said they can not get parts for them, when customers come in with a predator motor they have to send them away, as they can not get parts.
I found a replacement cam, but need a new governor that goes in the case. Any Ideas where is the best place to get one of those?
Thanks and God bless.