LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR?

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
any body know of a good little tiller/ cultivator. just someting small that can get into tight areas , does not need to go deep, but just keep the weeds out and the ground soft.

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #2  
Frank, I have had a Mantis tiller for about three years now, and have been very happy with it. I think I paid about $300. It tills a 10" wide path, I use it for installing and maintaining flower beds. It also came with an edger attachment that does a decent job edging walks and flower beds. I don't vegetable garden, but I suspect it would work well cultivating a planted garden.
Will

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #3  
My wife has a Honda Harmony that works great. It tills 9" wide and has a 1.5HP 4-stroke engine. Great little machine.

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #4  
I have the Craftsman and Toro (I think, Half price at lowes could not pass up the deal for a backup unit). The Sears unit has smooth outside tines which work nice when doing close work where you don't want to leave marks on the side of what you are working near (I.e., House). The one from Lowe's the tines face outward so not as nice when working around the edge of the house but it is more aggressive for harder ground. My parents had a Sears (Many years old - Got it used from my brother) which they replaced with the Mantis and they like the Mantis better.

All of these units have the engine at "ground" level. I have not used one of the units with the engine located about waist high so I cannot compare how they differ in performance.

BTW, The first sears that I had weht through a gear box after a few hours. They did not put enough grease in the gear box. It was actually out of warranty when it quit working but they still replaced the gearbox under warranty. No problems with the Lowes unit about 4 hrs.

Overall, I am happy with both units that I have and my parents have not replaced the Mantis which means they like it very well.

Kurt

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #5  
frank_f15,here is some more food for thought Happy tilling ! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifThe sears model is a 2 stroke BTW /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR?
any chance of seeing a picture? and where did u buy it? thanks for the info

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #7  
Frank; Sorry I don't understand how to post a picture, or a web link, but I do know that the company has a web site. Do a search for Mantis rototiller and you will find the site. I bought mine from a small engine shop; I am quite sure that the company will also sell factory direct.
Will

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #8  
Frank,

I bought a Ryobi last year for something under $150 on sale at Orshelns, a local farm store. It does what I need, which is about what you are describing, though it is very light weight. The motor is higher up on the handles than in some designs, and I think that makes it more jumpy than ones with the motor right over the tines. However, it does the job and was cheap. BTW, this is a dedicated tiller, not one of the Ryobi's that have different heads, like for weedeating and such. I bought it partly because I was happy with the Ryobi drill I had purchased earlier.

Chuck

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #9  
I purchased a Mantis for my wife. She loves it. Does a great job cultivating the gardens.

/ LITTLE TILLER/ CULTIVATOR? #10  
Hi...

Have the Honda FG100 mini tiller for 2+ years now...

It's 4-stroke engine starts on 1 pull... cold or warm...

A real workhorse...

Has 4 removable tine sets... can use with 2 or 4 to change the tilling width... guessing 6" or 9" ???

Other attachments available too... like edger... dethatcher...

~$300...

Dave...