Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller....

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Hello,

About 2 years ago we purchased a Troybilt Professional Honda Powered counter rotating tine tiller. Its a well made unit. However I'm not crazy about the reverse tines. They push debries and dirt towards the tiller. Plus the tiller has difficulty pulling itself along because the tines are rotating in the opposite direction. And generally they have more traction than the tires! I have noticed that Troybilt offers the same tiller in forward rotation only. Looks like they quit making mine.

My question is...how do I convert mine to forward rotation? I have studied the parts drawings and I think if I could get a different wheel/tine drive shaft I would be in business. Also i would have to reverse tines which is easy. Has anyone ever had this issue? I know its kinda "out there" but I thought i would ask. Thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #2  
Hi,One of my old tillers has normal forward rotating tines and a reverse belt that has a twist (figure "8" ) in it.so you can run the tines in reverse if you want. it has a idler that you tighten one belt or the other. It's a 8 HP senator (now Gilson)
must be 30 years old. Still runs like a BEAR. maybe you could replace your drive belt with a longer one with a twist?

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #3  
I would call troy built or send them an email I'm sure they would be happy to help.My dad had a couple of the horse models with forward tine rotation and they both worked great.
Herb

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #4  
I have a 2-year-old troybuilt bronco with forward rotating tines. I have quite the opposite problem. Whenever the tines dig a little too much into hardpan it's off to the races. Anybody want to buy it? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Seriously, think three times before getting a forward rotating tiller. If you have really good loose soil it might work.

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #5  
Papa, I also had some concerns about the counter rotating tines of my walk behind tiller doing the same thing you just described...

What I finally found out was if I lifted slightly on the handle it worked so much better... I remember the frustration I originally felt when it wouldn't pull itself along...

Technique since has improved to walking beside using one hand slightly lifting just basically guiding til the end of the row... You may also add a few pounds of weight to the front to help the balance if lifting on the handle proves to be more weight than comfortable for the duration of the tilling job...It worked much better for me after the lifting on the handle trick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck & happy tilling /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need some assistance with my Troybilt Tiller.... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Papa, I also had some concerns about the counter rotating tines of my walk behind tiller doing the same thing you just described...

What I finally found out was if I lifted slightly on the handle it worked so much better... I remember the frustration I originally felt when it wouldn't pull itself along...

Technique since has improved to walking beside using one hand slightly lifting just basically guiding til the end of the row... You may also add a few pounds of weight to the front to help the balance if lifting on the handle proves to be more weight than comfortable for the duration of the tilling job...It worked much better for me after the lifting on the handle trick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck & happy tilling /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

I've owned a forward rotating tine Troy-Bilt tiller for over 25 years and technique makes ALL the difference. Some folks think that these machines can till 8" deep in one pass, and soon find out they are chasing it across the yard. The Troy tillers are well balanced on the wheels, if too much weight is transferred off the wheels, then you loose traction. I've always had best results when making several passes going just a little deeper each time, let the machine do the work and just guide it along as mentioned above.