Well Pump Diagnosis

/ Well Pump Diagnosis #11  
Whatever the cause it sounds like the pump will have to pulled for inspection of all the components and installing replacement parts required.

/ Well Pump Diagnosis #12  
Have you checked out the tank. I had a simular problem. Over time sand had built up inside the tank and ruptured the bladder. I replaced the tank and added an inline filter.

/ Well Pump Diagnosis #13  
honeycutt said:
Have you checked out the tank. I had a simular problem. Over time sand had built up inside the tank and ruptured the bladder. I replaced the tank and added an inline filter.

I'll second that. The pressure tank plays a lot into having "water pressure". Our system would run and run and it turned out to be the pressure tank bladder- wasn't any capacity. There is suppose to be a certain PSI in the bladder.... sometimes it's listed on the tank.

/ Well Pump Diagnosis #14  
Kaliburz said:
I'll second that. The pressure tank plays a lot into having "water pressure". Our system would run and run and it turned out to be the pressure tank bladder- wasn't any capacity. There is suppose to be a certain PSI in the bladder.... sometimes it's listed on the tank.

Your correct, but I don't think that is the problem here. The pressure tank has a precharge pressure that is important. A ruptured bladder may cause the pump to cycle considerably, but if it is not leaking, you should still get to maximum cutout pressure unless: A. your loosing water fast enough that you cannot keep ahead of the loss or B. you have a set of worn impellars or even broken impellars. The possiblity of loosing water between the pump and check valve is a very likely source of the problem if the pump is in OK condition.

/ Well Pump Diagnosis
Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't get to this over the weekend but took the afternoon off yesterday to work on it.

I pulled the pump expecting to find a leak between the pump and check valve but there was none. I called the well company that installed the pump and asked if they had a replacement pump available that I could come pick up. The owner suggested that although pumps can wear and not build pressure that it is very rare and that it was much more likely that I had a leak between the house and well. He suggested that I pull off the pitless adaptor from the pipe and cap it off with a pressure gauge and check to see if the pump would build pressure. I ran to the store to pick up the fittings that I needed and as I was ready to test the pump he called back and said he finished his prior job and could swing by in 10 minutes if I wanted help.

I told him to swing by and asked him to bring a pump just in case. It turns out that the pump is just worn out so I bought a new pump from the guys that originally put in the well. He only charged me $500 for the pump and $20 for the fittings. He helped me hook the new pump up and then didn't even charge me any labor. I had checked on the internet and the best price I could find anywhere for the pump was $510 delivered. I was thrilled with the outstanding service from these guys.

So there it is......worn pump and $520 dollars later everything is as good as new.

Thanks,
Kevin