Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
So there is no real shop at my new property.
The plan is to renovate the new (JH) house, then move in, then renovate the current house we are currently in and sell it, then build a large shop for me at the JH house, then add on too the JH house to get it the size we would like.

I bought more for the property and location, and the house gave me a base to work from.

As I keep comparing the new JH house to my existing house, I keep thinking I need to step up the addition to the house on the priority list.

Also, as I am gaining more and more experience with building, I realize more and more how much I don't know :D

So, I was thinking of building a smaller shop, like 24 X 36 prior to building my "real" shop, but cannot think of how to tie them together nicely.

Ideally I would like something around 40 X 90 with 18' eaves, just afraid if I wait on that, I may be old and dead before I get to adding on too the house :eek:

So, has anyone added on substantially to a small shop and made it look like something other then an add on?

I may also just seperate the two, and have something like a wood shop in one, and the steel work in the other, but the problem there becomes no matter what you want, it is in the other shop..............

Open to suggestions.

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #2  
I would keep the small shop and build another shop right against it with a door in between. That way it could be a dedicated wood shop so you could keep all the wood dust off the rest of your shop tools. If you use the same materials I don't see why it wouldn't look ok. Is it going to be pole building construction with metal panels?

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #3  
How about making the first shop 24' x 40' instead of 24 x 36 and then expansion to 40' x 90' would be quite a natural progression.

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #4  
I'll give you a few comments from my experience... not exactly the same as yours, but maybe some ideas will transfer.

I waited a long time to build a shop... my technique was to get a bunch (6 or so) of black plastic pickup tool boxes, mount them on a cotton trailer that I had, this made a movable tool chest as well as supplies trailer.... for pulling all over the ranch. took chests are water tight, mostly.

I added a portable generator to the trailer... so that I had portable power where needed... got one large enough to run house in emergency... a trade off because generator is too heavy to handle without two people... or a tractor. But a smaller generator would not fulfill the peak emergency need.

I lived with this until I decided to build a shop...
Then, built a 40X60 with concrete floor using local contractor.

I went to the local metal recycling place in Austin.... they separate the stuff that people might be able to reuse and sell it separately. There, I found a bunch of metal racks in very shop usable shape... some even new... and installed them all around the perimeter of the building..At $.25 a pound, best shelving you can get. The racks need wood/boards on them to complete the shelving. I visited, frequently, house construction sites and picked up discarded lumber ONLY from their trash bins. Amazing amount available if you back out a few nails, etc.... all dimentions, even up to 16 feet boards.

Then, I lucked into a bunch (about 90) tables with removable steel legs, 30X60 inches. $2 each. I took the legs off, tipped them up on edge and mounted them all around the lower perimeter of the building to keep stuff from punching thru the fragile steel. I made flat dollies out of bunches of the table tops by putting casters on them and rolling them under the racks. this makes it possible to put heavy stuff close to the ground, but still be able to get it by pulling the dolly out for access to the stuff.

Purpose of the racks and dollies is to maximize use of the available vertical and floor space.

I also got some racks/shelving with wheels... in fact, almost EVERYTHING in my shop is on wheels. Purpose is to be able to rearrange the interior as needs change. Cost of casters/wheels is insignificant in relation to other building components. I get my casters from Harbor Freight. I recommend the 3 and 4 inch ones that are 330 lb capable. It's easy to get a lot of weight more on one caster/corner than evenly spread out, thus need peak capability for each caster (don't ask how I know.).

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #5  
Its no problem adding length to a pole barn with metal trusses.

/ Small temp shop, that builds into bigger shop #6  
I would build it as wide as you can and limit the length for now. Say 40 feet wide and 24 deep. It will be a little weird looking for now, but might be motivation to add on to the rest of it sooner.

The back wall will have to come out when you add on to it, but you can re-use most of it.

Then all you have to do is pour your foundation and build up the side walls. Put in some trusses and make it longer.

Have all your utilities set up at the front and it will be a simple job to run new electircal out lets and lighting.

For a roof, plan on metal. It comes in three foot widths and is real easy to add on to. to make the building longer, the metal panels overlap. To create some overhangs, unscrew the metel at the wall and slide the new metal under it. To my knowledge, nothing will be as easy add onto like a metal roof.

Eddie